1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Proper sidewalk construction

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by VO Landscape Design, Jul 28, 2011.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

A local construction company is replacing the sidewalks from our new road construction. What is the proper way to prep and pour. It seems like they are putting down about 2" of gravel, tamping and then pouring. Is that all that is needed? They will be doing our side of the street starting soon. The other side looks uneven and just plain bad.
    Thanks
    VO

2. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

have to have expansion joints

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That's about right for prep on a concrete sidewalk. The surprise is that they tamped it. Most guys I know just use 2"-4" of pea gravel and just pour on top after raked out.

The real question is how strong is the concrete they are using. If they are using fiber reinforcement, then the thing should stay true and strong.

Mt. Pleasant Eh? I grew up across the river in IL. Dated a girl from Mt. Pleasant for a while back in the day.

4. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

1/2 in rebar 4000 lb per sq inch and expansion joints. Usually they at least do a cut/edge every 4ft w expansion every 12. But more the better
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Maybe some Steel Wire Remesh

6. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

12' is way over kill. More is better huh? How often do you want it? Every 4'? LOL

7. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. I know how that can be interpreted. I meant typically i put it in every 3 4 foot sections. The more expansion joints in his sidewalk construction the better to eliminate cracking and freeze thaw problems. I am from NY. So We get a lot of freezing.