Proper size of Truck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BoHog1634, Jun 18, 2004.

1. BoHog1634

BoHog1634 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am currently on the lookout for a decent used truck that may be used for a future fertilizer and pesticide business. I am curious as to what type of truck is best. Basically, I would like to find out if a 1/2 ton is sufficient or if I would be better off with a 3/4 ton truck. I know a lot may go into this decision, but I would appreciate any feedback and opinions.

Thanks,
    BoHog

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine weighs 2.5 tons .
    LOL

I drive F150 s , always have .

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 1979 1 ton Ford flatbed for my fertilizer applications. I go to my suppliers and buy fertilizer by the pallet (1 ton). If you plan on doing any large scale application work, I'd recommend at least a 3/4 ton truck.

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've got 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 tons, for operating efficiency and ability for handling weight and equipment well the 3/4's are excellent. Use to use the 1 tons but now only use them for hauling materials and aeration equipment. 1/2 tons are great for light duty , service calls, estimates and so far or small routes.

5. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

my feeling is if you're going to have one truck...bigger is better. To buy a smaller truck like a 1/2 ton you will most likely be overloading it and its life may be cut shorter than you'd like.

also a bigger truck (3/4-1 ton) will give you the insentive to sell...if you know you have the proper tools you'll be more likely to take on more work?

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

1/2 tons are good for grocery getters. If you are gonna work with it get 3/4 ton or better.

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

They are right
    Go 3/4 ton .
    A few more $ , but may come an handy .

I'm in pest control and 1/2 ton is all I need .

8. I use a 3/4 ton van for my service vehicle. I like the enclosed tank and my fert and equipment stays dry when it rains.

It also has a class 3 hitch so I can mount a platform or tow a trailer if I need extra hauling capacity.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO anything less than a 3/4 ton is a car with more room to haul light stuff in. Isuzu Cab Over NPR to me is the perfect truck for work. They turn on a dime and can hold or haul more weight than a one ton. They get 15 MPG empty or full and insurance is about the same as a 3/4 ton. I also like the 25 MPG I get from a small compact support truck that is also my Grocery Getter.

10. BoHog1634

BoHog1634 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the replies and advice!! I was kinda leaning toward a 3/4 ton, and your replies confirm this.

Now, for the real important question.....which is better, Ford or Chevy????.......Just kidding.

Thanks again,
    BoHog