Proper Tie Down

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by deerewashed, Feb 17, 2013.

1. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, still new to owning and transporting equipment, etc.

My question is, for a 5 ton mini excavator, what size binders to i want to use? If i chain down from 4 separate corners, do i want to use 5 ton binders on all 4 corners, or can i split the load between all 4 corners? i.e like 2 ton binders on each corner? Also, do any of you guys you straps?

Thanks guys.
    Hank

2. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I used 5 3/4" binders

One on each corner, then one holding the chain across the boom.

be sure you always secure the boom down on a excavator, thats a instant $100.00 ticket

3. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

think a load binder with a working load limit of 13k(1/2"-5/8") will work fine for all 4 corners, and then one for the bucket?

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Enough to give you a headache.

6. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

well if you mini has a hydrolic lock out for the boom you do not "need" that 5th chain, but its usually just easier to put it on.

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

You need it around this part of town, also chaining the bucket dosent mean the boom is secure.

8. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

Local DOT man told me i need the 4 corners, one over the blade and one over the bucket on my 8,300 lb Kobelco 35sr. ....that's 6 binders! My Kobelco SR135 only needs 5, and it weighs 30,800 lbs.

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

He is wrong. I posted the regs that he has too go by.
    Under 10k can be fastened according to these regs

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.128

Or these regs which apply too over 10k

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.130

The first is 2 point and the second 4 point. You can do either under 10k weight.

10. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

I usually go with 4....2 on the tracks, one on the blade and one on the boom. That's over 24,000 lbs. of restraint on an 8,300 lb machine.

AJW thank you for posting those regs. ......i have a question though, those are for securing a vehicle for transport, not equipment. I used to have a Michigan DOT handbook which had actual images of equipment and how to restrain. I saw the 10,000 lb. thing mentioned, but it wasn't very clear about machines with a boom and blade. So i figured too much is better.