Proper Way to Edge a Bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RickR1818, Jun 5, 2008.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys,

I have a residential mulch job tomorrow and wanted to get some feed back on the correct way to edge a bed. I have a trenchblade that I will use and want to know what else needs to be done to enhance the edge. I will be refreshing the edges already in place.

Thanks,

Rick

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Dont know what a trenchblade is, but a Tanaka edger is by far the best way to go.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

It all depends on the condition of the edge.........I like to use a bed edger and really create a sharp defined checkmark shaped edge.... If they have been maintained you can get by with the stick edger and/or a string trimmer..... the edge is what really sets off the work...... I know what the trenchblade is but I have not used one or found the need for one.....

4. jspec260

jspec260 LawnSite Member

Yeah bed edger really is the way to go. Gives the beds nice solid crisp clean edges.

5. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

i disagree. unless you are edging a large area of beds, the absolute best way to go is with a wolverine hand edger and a string trimmer. i have used many types of power edgers, but none of them can compete with an edge done this way. i must admit though, if the work is big, i will use a power edger and then do touch up work with the hand tool.

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

stick edger to cut the edge and a shovel to dig it out. Stick the shovel in the cut groove then kick the shovel and move down the line. It goes quick. Rake up the roots and mulch.

7. jspec260

jspec260 LawnSite Member

Yes but a bed edger gives u a clean deep edge. Great for keeping mulch out of the yard when it rains.

8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

ANyone have any pics of the process? So after I get the trench made with a stick edger, I need to dig out the dirt and mulch? How far into the beds do I go?

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Bed Edgers are great for a nice clean edge, but you need to remove the dirt left behind if you can't spread it out in the bed. The only other thing I don't like is that you chop the grass roots, and they have a potential to grow back.

I just use a walk behind edger to get a nice clean line, then I take my shovel and remove any sod sections that need to be pulled out. That way I know for sure that I'm removing most of the sod.

Ultimately I make a trench 4-6 inches, then I leave a 2-3 inch lip at the edge between my mulch and lawn. The lip I feel helps keep the grass from incroching back into the bed and rooting into the mulch. The edge stays cleaner longer. Kinda like a sand trap on a golf course.

I also spray round-up on any weeds before I throw the mulch.

I'm doing one tommorow, might be too late to take pictures for you though.

10. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

My way might not be the right way, but it sure does the trick. I use a sharpen my stick edge on with an angle grinder and cut the edge and remove lawn cutting with a hand how chopper/tiller. Its alot of work but looks really sharp. I'll always cut the new line to allow for a season or two's worth of shrub/tree growth.