1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Proper Way to pay subs?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Doug406, Nov 17, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

My insurance agent has asured me that as long as my SUBS have auto insurance and clean driving record, all I have to do is add them to my LIABILITY insurance. This way I am sure I am covered because I am in control. Then all I have to do is pay them the hourly wage, and send out 1099's. AM I MISSING ANYTHING?? I do not want to be caught at the short end of a law suit someday.

Oh one other thing, last year when I was auited by the insurance co. they included my subs in with the workmans comp payroll. Are subs covered with my workers comp ins.?

[Edited by Doug406 on 11-18-2000 at 02:55 AM]

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

How does he want you to add them to the liability policy-each one by name, or just total number of subs?
  3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Government wants as many subs as possible to be catagorized as employees. They get the most $ that way.

There is a list of items which determine if a sub is a sub or an employee. Things such as owning equipment, setting own schedule, working for multiple contractors, etc.

Most cases a snowplow sub can safely be catogorized as a boified subcontractor and are therefore responsible for their own vehicle and workers compensation insurance.