Proper Way To Use Stick Edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by knothead, May 21, 2008.

1. knothead

knothead LawnSite Member

A Walking Forwards
    B Walking Backwards
    TRYING TO SETTLE AN ARGUMENT WITH A FRIEND WHO IS NEW TO BUSINESS!THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES

2. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

really depends i do both on every yard, which ever makes me have the shortest route but mostly along beds i go backwards and on hardscapes go forward

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

A is your answer.

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

both.
    i find think unedged concrete it's easier to go backwards, and with nice well maintanced edging it's easier to go forwards.

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

both is correct. what ever easy er and looks good.

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

95% of the time I go forward but when there is mega over-growth, I will go forward through it and then pull back through it and go forward through it again.

Little Bermuda stringers along the sidewalks are a pure pain in the butt! They are skinny enough to sneak by so you have to go back over them sometimes. (common bermuda not the kind the people in Atlanta have, ours is what comes through after Chinch bugs get done with the St. Augustine.)

7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

with a stick edger, I edge facing the edge, holding the edger at a slight angle. walking somewhat sideways, this way it cut through all the unwanted overhang on the egde. I hardly ever use the wheel for the first edging.

8. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ive noticed on mine if I go in reverse it tends to throw out more dirt so like it was said above going in reverse might be good around flower beds and such. Ive pretty much only been going forward though

9. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep! same here.

10. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

How do you go backwards? When I try to drag mine backwards the flap drags and prevents me from going backwards!