Properly securing your equipment to trailer. E track?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TaylorLandscapingLLC, May 19, 2013.

1. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

Ive seen a couple conversations on whether properly securing your equipment should be done or not. ive seen even fewer posts about how they actually go about securing things. I always secure my machines with tie downs/ratchet straps with S hooks. I dont want them walking all over the trailer.

My biggest thing is that up until last week, I never put anything on the floor to make me park in the same place twice so i was always modifying my anchoring points and positions. one trip i would be anchoring back towards a point on the frame, and the next trip i might be reaching forward to the next closest point. i spent alot of time fooling with anchoring between jobs but i just recently installed 2x4's for my rear tires to rest in for my ZTR. Then i used 2x2' front and rear of the wheels on my walk behind/commercial push to keep it from rolling. i toss a strap over it to keep it from hopping and I think ive got it licked.

Now im thinking maybe E tracks would be ideal. they are almost flush so tripping over them wouldnt be an issue. i could park virtually anywhere and have an ideal anchor point. I could reconfigure my trailer if I need to add or take away machines.

Does anyone have any experience with E track? any pics of setups preferably on open utility trailers. thanks for the help in advance.

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

I use fast straps for my mowers and 2x2 for my two pushers. It works awesome

3. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i did the same thing with 2x4's on the trailer floor for the rear tires of my walk behind to rest in. Its a bit of a hassle though because my mower is a belt drive, i put it in reverse and pull and it takes a bit of effort to get it back over those 2x4's usually. I shortened a ratchet strap, and ratchet strap one tire to the 2x4's after i drive the mower on. It doesn't move anywhere. probably gotta find a better way, but i was spending to much time securing my mower. I'm gonna need to use something thinner than 2x4's to make it easier to get the mower out. I just used what i had in the garage that day. Its much faster for me to load and unload now though.

4. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

First thing I did with my new enclosed was to bedline it, and install e-track. No pics, but what I did was lay 2 10' lengths from front to back, wide enough apart to secure the V-Ride. They sell e-track connectors that have a ring welded to them; I use ratchet straps on them and they stay nice and snug.

As cheap and easy as it is to install e-track, I can highly recommend it.

5. TaylorLandscapingLLC

Thanks paul. thats what im looking to hear. im going to look into a source for the E track. so far i can only find it online. i dont think lowes or home depot sell it do they? if so is there different names for it or is E track the common name?

6. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Tractor Supply carries them.

7. Paul's Green Thumb

E-track is the common name. Any trailer dealer should carry it, along with an assortment of compatible straps/fasteners.

8. TaylorLandscapingLLC

awesome. i have a tractor supply about 5 miles from me. Im going to swing by and see if I can put together an assortment of goodies for my wife to complain about!!!!:laugh:

9. Paul's Green Thumb

Took a pic for you while sweeping it out today :)

[​IMG]

10. TaylorLandscapingLLC

that looks really good. I went to tractor supply today and they only sold the Etrack in 2' sections. Im looking to do atleast 10' if not 12' runs on both sides of the trailer, and then a 4' span on the forward, middle and rear of the trailer. I have that push mower to strap down and I plan on getting a 36" stand on so i can use the versatility. They wanted $13 for each 2' sections so I said forget them. Ill end up ordering it in 6" sections at least online. thanks for the picture. i like what you did there with the bed liner and e track. my next trailer will be a 14' Enclosed done the same way. :drinkup: