1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Property Management Companies

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jlcrss, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jlcrss

jlcrss LawnSite Member

Hello, I am new the site and lawn care business. I run a small one man operation. I have been advertising on craigslist and have been receiving calls from a couple people representing property management companies. Some are requiring information from me to do a background check and other various pieces of info. Can you guys advise if I should stay away from these guys or are they mostly legit. I don't really want to provide info other than Federal Id number and business insurance info and I don't want to end up mowing for free. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. jlcrss

jlcrss LawnSite Member

bump for reply
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

How can we possibly know who is contacting you? You have more info than we do to base a decision on.
  4. jlcrss

jlcrss LawnSite Member

I am not really asking about who specifically is contacting me. I am asking about the scenario. I am also wondering if there are any success stories or horror stories in dealing with someone out of state. Any help would be appreciated.
  5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful re Craigs List. If a local management company contacted you, & they have a local office, tell them you'll drop by and provide the needed info. Never ever provide any INFO over the phone or by email because you really have no idea if its a legit business company or a scammer.
  6. jlcrss

jlcrss LawnSite Member

Yeah I have pretty much been handling it this way.
  7. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i do work for a property management company. the work is good, but i would meet with the property manager first. dont do the take picture before and after most of those dont pan out. but it up to your discretion. but most property management requires you to carry half mill liability insurance to work for them
  8. jlcrss

jlcrss LawnSite Member

Insurance isn't an issue for me. Im just not comfortable doing business with someone unless I can do it face to face.
  9. lawnsofmerritt

lawnsofmerritt LawnSite Member

We have had success with them they actualy threw alot of work at us all at once. all of them like safeguard and such do require $1 mil minimum and tax id #'s
  10. jlcrss

jlcrss LawnSite Member

Good info. Is the company you are dealing with out of state? I have a licensed business so I have a tax id number and insurance. How was the most important part getting paid?