Property Management w/ Landscaping

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AAATreeLandscape, Jan 17, 2003.

1. AAATreeLandscape

AAATreeLandscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

Wanted to know if anyone manages properties in the landscape business? I have recieved a lot of work from property management companies and thought I could kill two birds with one stone. A) You take a 10% cut of the rent B) You charge the owner your fee for lawn maintenance, plowing, ect... I know tenants can be a pain to deal with but if your already at the property four times a month why not collect the rent while your there. Also in the offseason when your not plowing your still making that 10% commission off the rent. What do you think?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was offered this before, but I talked with the previous grounds person and they said never again. They said that they never got respect from fellow tenants, and most of all they actually received threats. They had to move from the area. So first talk with the past grounds person.

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you can get Louie (you that guy... the one with the flat nose that hangs down at 5th & State) to "assist you" with the collections.......

4. AAATreeLandscape

AAATreeLandscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

Theres actually a service out there made especially for collecting rent through EFT. Not a lot of people know about it but if I could implement that into the contracts I think it will save a lot of work. OK, I've said too much, I'm giving away all my secrets...lol. Looking to using EFT myself on all my maintenance contracts through a different provider. Thanks for the feedback!

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

As hard as it is to collect my own money?

I don't think trying to collect someone elses is in my best interest.

Unless you had the character John was referring too, then it might just be fun!

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, do you really have time to drop what you are doing to deal with plumbing emergencies, the HVAC guy and all the other trades involved with maintaining properties? It's a lot more than grass.

7. KirbyKLC

KirbyKLC LawnSite Member

Ditto Homer.

I've been in the collection business and it will wear you out mentally. You turn in to an oger in your own home and end up having an attitude with your wife and kids.

Never again!!! ( unless I get really hungry!!)