1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

property management

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Heavenly Green, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

Does anybody on here have any accounts that they do for a property management company?
    What are your opinions on cold calling these type of companies to see if they have any open bids for property maintenance?
    I'm looking in the phone book right now and debating on whether or not I should start calling. I hate telemarketers and don't want to be one. Should I just call and introduce myself and ask if they have any open bids that my company can bid on. Or ask to be put on a vendor list or what?
    Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
  2. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

My biggest and best accounts have been from phone calls. Now is good time to call local businesses and ask for the property manangers name. Then send a letter asking to submit a bid for this years Lawn Maint. I have also drove around and found properties that I think I would like to mow, and then contact them. Good luck.

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, It is the best relationship you can get in my opinion. We got lucky, one of my best friends owns a residential property management company. He calls us all the time to go mow his properties when they are between renters. I would just draft up a letter and enclose a business card. What they are mostly looking for is reliability and speed. When he calls us to mow a vacant property he does not expect to wait 4 or 5 days for us to get to it, he wants it done in the next day or so. So you might want to mention that you will respond quickly to their mowing needs in your letter also.

good luck
  4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Property managers are very difficult to get in with...make sure when you send the letters in that they are top notch...no errors. Time the letters so they do not get onto that persons desk on a monday or friday.
  5. Precision Care

Precision Care LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If you you are talking about Homeowners associations that are managed by Management Companies, those bids come out usually in Aug. and Sept. Because the HOA's budget has to be in place by Jan 1.

The other properties I don't much about. It could not hurt to try.
  6. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm working on getting a script written out so I don't get all flustered as I am kinda nervous about making sure that I come across professional sounding. Does anyone have any good lines that they use when cold calling. Kinda got butterflies in the stomach. Also in the bids what are these type of clients looking at when making the decision of whom to award the bid to, cheap price or big name what?
    I'm mainly interested in getting some commercial buildings and Apartment/condos.

once again thank you.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Heavenly Green

Property Managers are a good source for leads, but they will probably not help out as much as going directly to the Association and finding out when they are up for renewal on their current maintenance contract.

Here are a few things that you will be asked to provide if it is going to be at a neighborhood or condo.

Workers Compensation
    1,000,000 to 2,000,000 Liability Policy
    Hold Harmless paperwork
    Presentation as to what your company has to offer
    Then finally: Pricing
  8. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I go directly to the company and give them info about my company. I always ask to meet with the man or women in charge.
    Sometimes they call you right away sometime latter on and sometimes never. I give them a volume price if all the properties are close to each other. I also make sure I draw up a contract with them. Sometimes they don't pay until they collect they money from their customers. Its a good way to pick up multiple accounts.
    I sometimes shy away for the high grass cut unless the pay big time. To much on the mowers. Good luck. Travis
  9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I think we are talking about two different things here. The property management company we mow for is in charge of around 150 rental houses around the city. If you move and did not want to sell your house you could let them rent it for you. They handle everything from credit checks to eviction and all maintenance problems. They typically take 10% of the rent and the tenant deals with them on everything. Anyway when a tenant moves out and the lawn needs to be mowed he will call us, we will mow that lawn until the new tenant moves in. He has nothing to do with neighborhood associations or anything like that. There is no contract to bid on, he calls we go mow and send him the bill. It is a very nice relationship if you can find one.
  10. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Property Manangement companies,

If you get in good with a big one it can lead to a lot of business. Do your home work. Go for it. It can lead to some steady revenue in addition to your other contracts.