1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Property Manager giving me the runaround?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys go about professionally telling this property manager to **** or get off the pot? I mean she has been leading me on that they will be making a decision soon about the maintenance contract and that they are all unhappy with the current company...she has been telling me the same story since November-december. I am really really getting tired of making follow up calls on this but its a really nice contract! I don't want to get rude with her and force a bad decision on my part.

I call every 10 days...her answer every 10 days " we have a board meeting coming up next week and that is the main topic"
    I have already asked her 3 times " can we sit down in your office and discuss this further" but she will not let this go any further than my proposal sitting in her file. She makes alot of comments like she is interested but makes excuses when its time to make a meting of some sorts to discuss things. :help:

reason for edit:

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Start planning your year without her. Fill up your schedule as you see fit. If she calls and you still have room so be it. If not you will not be like the person sitting by the phone waiting to be asked to prom.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would say, "Ma'am, we're as close to the hour in beginning to mow as you can get. I need some sort of approval and go ahead immediately. If not, you may end up waiting too long and then we will be unable to service your property due to our other commitments and work schedule all ready in place."

Just be firm about it. And polite too. Good luck.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah what Rodfather said.

If you keep calling and "begging" for the approval, then they feel like you need them.
    If you call and tell them, your schedule is filling up and although you would like to do business, they may not fit in the schedule after April 15. I bet you get a call on April 14th, or they never had any intentions. Either way you have set a deadline.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think you know deep down inside, the obvious truth that she is b.s.'ing you. She is simply holding out for cheaper bids to come in, which will be more attractive. She is a manager...one of the manager's jobs is to save money. These managers are like used car salesmen. They will tell you anything you want to hear. You want a laugh? Send someone you know in there to tell her they are interested in submitting a bid..you watch ho fast she jumps on the oppportunity, and how "nice" she is to any new potential "moneysavers".
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

exactly what Rod said. That will make her jump on board if she really wants to
  7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

After the third call, it would be time to turn on the lights and get the lay of the land.
  8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

THis generally means that they had no intention of using you in the first place.... They probably have already had meetings and walk arounds with the "real prospects". You are probable one of the three necessary bids....

They want you to submit a bs bid in the future which is why theyre keeping you on the hook.....

Been there.....done that....got the t-shirt that says dumbass

If you get the place......just wait till you start making the calls for your check....... its amazing how many meetings come and go before you get paid..