Property Manager Lied

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, Mar 25, 2005.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow.....I couldn't believe this when I found out. I have a condo complex that recently changed property management companys. I spoke several times with the person handling the account (owner of management co.) I found out her Husband was in the lawn maintenance industry. She told me that her husband doesn't do any work for her company because its a "conflict of interest". Well, I do work in another neighborhood in town. The president of the board asked me if I would like to bid on their common areas. Told me I needed to speak with their new property management co. Lo and behold, its the one I already deal with. They tell me they are not accepting bids, and that it has already been bid out.
    The new maintenance crew rolls in the other day, and you will never guess who it was........Thats right. Her husbands company. I found out he has several of the larger complexes that she "controls"

Now, do I confront her with this and risk losing what I already have? Do I notify the board that invited me to bid that her husband is the one doing their property now?
    I don't see how this can be allowed to happen. This woman knows all the bids that come in, and her husband can get them for just a few dollars less.

How would you guys or gals handle this?

2. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

"The president of the board asked me if I would like to bid on their common areas."

If the man ask, I would bid the areas. If she gets involved explain to her the president's interest in you. What can she say, you are being honest.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

WOW someone who lied about bids???? I would talk to the boards and inform them of the inside info that is being passed back to a family member, sure is a conflict of interest. And then be prepared to take your lumps :) because the decision could go in your favor if they see a conflict or you might have p!ssed them off and not have to worry about the conflict anymore. Me I would let the board know and take my chances.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It is a shame, but that goes on alot, around here it seems you need some one in key position to even have a chance

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Mac,
    contact the board, can't hurt, the worsst that could happen is for them to not change anything.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not what you know but who you know.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is soooo correct and the quicker you learn this the better.

8. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

"The president of the board asked me if I would like to bid on their common areas"

definitly tell him what the lady said and that her husband has the contract. :realmad:
    The board most likely doesn't know whats going on.

All they'll know is that a company has it - not that its her husbands company.

husband could easily slack on the contract, he could make thousands more for work not proformed.

9. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

I too am the HOA president in our community and by no means will I do any work for our HOA. It is just bad business, but is tempting and would be easy to do. IMO....I would notify the HOA board and tell them straight up what you know,,but only if it is FACT.

This kind of business practice happens all the time. :cool2:

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Same things happen here. People on the committees have people they know do the work. They see the bids, dissect them and use the information someone else had the brains and skill to do, then price it below what they were quoted and get the work. Doesn't matter the quality either. Now the rest of the homeowners are in a jam because there's a conflict of interest and they're afraid to say anything.

It's just something you have to get used to. Don't worry about any type of good work, just bid it below everyone else, quote what they request, but don't do what they request so you can meet your margins. I'm waking up real quickly to how HOA and apartments, condos, etc.. work. You simply bid what they request, hope you are the lowest, and then cut corners wherever you can to meet your margin. Like I said before. That's how it's done. Pretty sad the business ethics people have. The sick part is, if you can't beat them, join them. And frankly, there may be about 1 out of 100 HOA that are going to pass on price being an issue as opposed to quality. I've experienced it first hand. We've lost work to others that do it for less and do crap work. I've talked to the HOA and they have outright told me that. Doesn't matter, they just can't part with a few pennies more to get twice the service.

These bids go out every year for low price. If you want to make money, bid low, bid to spec, cut corners, make profit, move on to next association next year. Plain and simple. Think about it, who is going to get to here a HOA complain about your company as opposed to a homeowner? Are they really capable of giving you a bad name? Even the lay people that don't live in a HOA know that services are always low-bid won. So they take it with a grain of salt.

Whatever the case, it comes down to who you know. If you think our society has one ounce of moral or self respect, you're a fricken' fool. Everyone is out for themselves. Everyone is a snake and can't be trusted. In our society, it all comes down to their self-wealth. That's what is ruining the country. The self-centered personal gain at others expense like never before. Am I negative, you damm right. Is it the truth, you better damm believe it. You think not, you're naive. The ruination of this country is over our own personal greed. We can't control ourselves. You either get used to it and see yourself slowly decline or stay mediocre financially, or you start screwing your fellow citizen. As simple as that. You think this issue of illegal immigrants is anything but mans personal greed and how fast can he get there. They don't hire illegals because American's don't want to work, they hire them because it's the faster road to riches. You think for any one minute that's not true, you're a fukin' idiot. Believe the BS you want from these people here, but it's all about themselves and how much can I make and how fast. Screw anything our country has stood for, it's all about me now. THAT'S what is killing this country!!!!