1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Property Size

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Horn, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Green Horn

Green Horn LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

First time posrt here. I'm considering starting a part-time landscape maintenance company. I'm thinking I'd buy a commerical 21" and keep my Harry-Homeowner mower as a backup. My questionis, how large a yard would you consider mowing w/ a 21"? Obviously I'm targeting smaller properties, but how small? Would 1/2 acre be too large?

Also, any recommendations for a light-duty 21" commerical? I don't plan on leaving my day job. I'd just cut in evenings & weekends starting w/ 5 or 6 customers and hopefully working up to 12 to 15 good accounts.

Thanks for any input.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We did yards around 100'x130' for many years with 21'" Snapper and Lawnboy units. The Home Depot Honda is a fair alternative to the $1000 commericial units. I am not familiar with the Snapper line below the commericial but I won't be afraid of it.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1/2 acre lots are just too large to do with a 21" mower and do it feasibly. For the time it will take, where will the money be? You could just about have someone else cut it and make more money. I would seriously consider shopping around for a small (if not larger) walk behind. Atleast you are covering some more area. I'm not saying it can't be done with a pushmower, I'm just saying that it's not practicle - with the going rate that most lawns this size go for. Don't frert, though. There are MANY lawns that are available that ARE more practicle for that caliber. We pass them up all the time because of small gates, hills, terraces, and other things that prohibit us from running larger equipment in the yards. Occasionally, you will even run across the fuddy-duddy that insists on a push mower being run on his 22,000 sq. ft. lawn. The problem with these people though, is that as ignorant about cutting equipment running on their yard, they are also as ignorant about pricing and what it costs to do business.