Proposal to Competition?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Nov 27, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Any of you guys ever talk to the competition and offer to buy him / her out? Be it lawn care, fertilizer / spray business, landscape business, etc.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

YEP.......... did'nt go over real well. He was plenty mad when I left :realmad:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, never.

Actually, I did something slightly similar... Once upon a time...

I went up to Yahoo.com (online) to find out just how MUCH could it cost to advertise a Web site on their front page for 30 days... Don't know if it's still this way but this was a few years ago and it was a fill-in-this-form and we get back to you, so I did... I figured how bad could it be, 30 days front-page on Yahoo, just a one-line link to a site? 5 thousand? 8 thousand? ...
    Once I got their reply, I sat down and staid seated for a good 10 minutes, and ever since that day I've never had the kohones to ask such a question again, lol !

Here's the answer:
    25 thousand dollars, US.
    No payments, but accept most any form of payment in full such as cash, cashier's check, credit card, etc...

As for me, I wouldn't quote any less than 40 thousand dollars, just for the asking.
    Not that I'd take most folk seriously in this matter, not really.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just me???? Wtf does that above have to do with subject.

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well he did say slightly similar?;) LOL

I think I would prefer to outsell and take customers, JMO.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, all the time. Im always looking to grow by whatever means are available.

7. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

Unless you are trying to grow your company quickly, why would you want too buy out a competitor. A lot of focus and effort, and you can grow your business to whatever size you wish.
    As far as eliminating competition, this will never happen. Competition is good. Without Burger King, McDonalds would never be as big or as good as they are and vice versa.
    Just my 2 cents.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think he tried to buy Yahoo.:dizzy: :dizzy: But who the hell could tell :help:

9. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My Head Hurts!!!!!!

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious I guess. I know he has a hard time paying venders on time. He has 2 toro Z' financed, 1 toro wb financed, and a JD Z 72 deck financed and mowing $10 cheaper than we are, doing driveways with a wb snow blowers for $15.00 / driveway - two stall, 6 inches and less - - anything over is $17.50. He is starting to kill me at those prices and the local LCO who does nothing but spray with a hose all day. Just a random thought! I get those once in a while!!