Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sowstrong, Mar 13, 2006.

1. sowstrong

sowstrong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I currently work for a friend of mine in the business. He has a pretty small rig: 5x10 open trailer, 36" scag w/b, 21" mower, and misc. He carries all of this on the back of a 95 jeep grand cherokee. I am going to be getting a 1/2 ton truck very soon and I was going to offer him the option of putting all of his equipment in the back of my truck and let me use it for a few days a week. I think this could work because he mows 3-4 days a week. I could use his stuff on the other 2 days and he has his trailer and vehicle free to do other jobs.
    I was wondering what kind of percentage per lawn I might could get by using my truck and labor with his equipment.
    He knows that I am an honest worker and that I am not in the position to buy all of the equipment+ truck this season to start working for myself. If this set up works, I might be able to have enough money to start next season when I move away to college (I'll have no competition with him.)
    What are y'lls thoughts on this type of agreement and how much more money do y'll think I could get out of it?
  2. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

sounds like a disaster in the making
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

DITTO i agree
  4. sowstrong

sowstrong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Well, could you tell me why it sounds so disasterous? None of this is concrete so I am game for all of the criticism you have. It does not hurt to ask questions.
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Money and friendship don't mix. That is what the others are saying I think.