1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Propspecting for new 2003 commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GarPA, Oct 27, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I want to add a few (only a few) medium sized commercial mowing accounts for next year. I like to after accounts that want more than just mowing(seasonal color changes, bed work, trimming etc). I probably should be doing this prospecting right now...well the fact is I am so backed up its just not going to happen right now...period. I already have a list of busineses I want to target after getting the contact names.If I get this stuff out in December am I too late for MOST of them? Like I said I know this is late but was wondering if in reality most buisnesses lock this up by October/November for the following year....thanks much.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Compose a professional letter, telling a little bit about your business and stating that you have GL insurance and workmans comp. Now mail this letters to your area's real estate management firms. The other day I drove around and just passed out 4 business cards. I got an "invitation to bid" package in the mail a few days later from one of them. It has a lot of properties on there. Shopping malls, condos, apartments and other residentals. I have to return my bids by November 15th. Upon acceptance, I have to show proof of insurance and workmans comp.

MATT

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt,

Where did you find the realestate management co's location. I dont know of any in my area and cant find them in the phone book. Thanks

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I found mine under "real estate" in the phone book's yellow pages. Take another look, they should be there somewhere.

MATT

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks for that info...I do work for one of those firms you mentioned but this one primarily wants mowing only and often i cannot compete with the big mowing companies on price.

Anyone out there able to answer my question on whether most, many, some companies nail down their service provider by Dec, Jan later???? thanks again

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Some have Oct, Nov, or March bidding timeframes. Just depends.