Pros advice needed! Asap

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clintjw95, May 16, 2011.

1. clintjw95

clintjw95 LawnSite Member

I started a wall today using 4" Limestone blocks. I am only going three rows high so the wall will only be a foot tall when finished. Will I need to put drainage tile behind the wall before I backfill? With it only being a foot tall I wasn't sure. Also what should I use to backfill 53's, 8's, or just dirt? Thanks in advance.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

did you pull a permit?

3. clintjw95

good to go

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there an apparent water problem behind the wall?
    Use pvc with the holes facing down and daylight the drain every 50 feet if you use drainage
    behind the first course.

Wouldn't you backfill with 3/4 crush? I don't know what 53's and 8's are

Also, here we don't require a permit unless the wall is going to be more than
    four feet tall.

I was watching a gardening show where the guy was putting in drainage, and he
    put the pvc in upside down with the holes facing up. Hilarious, what an expert.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I'd suggest you put clean stone and non woven geotextile to separate the dirt and the stone. Or you could just back fill with the dirt. Hope the gaps aren't too big if you choose the latter method.:)

6. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

With the wall being only a foot tall you shouldn't need drain tile/pipe, unless you have a big hill behind the wall. And use at least a foot of 3/4" clean stone behind the wall for back fill.

7. clintjw95

Thanks for the help.

There's no big hill behind the wall. Should I use landscape adhesive to keep the Limestone in place? Or will the weight of the Limestone block be enough? This is the first time I've used this kind of block (demintions 4"X8").

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If you are talking natural stone which I'm sure you are, then no adhesive. This is what you would call a dry stack wall, meaning no mortar to adhere the blocks together.

9. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

How thick/deep is your wall stone running into the wall? When I build with natural stone, lengths go into the wall. For this height, since you cannot acquire much weight/strength with 3 courses at 4" thick, I would build it 12-16" thick. Drainage might help for a small wall, but they move the most-and soonest depending on the grade behind it.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

what color is the material?