pros and cons about baggers for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wowmowwow, Jan 5, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a new/used big ol bagger on my zero turn?

2. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

They block your view behind you, they are clumsy. I would rather have a grass catcher on the walkbehind

3. wowmowwow

i dont tell my customers i even have the grass catcher. i use it at home...my grass area is half of a half acre. it has to be dumped at least 6-8 times and thats just to trim it. i searched around this site and i dont think i want a bagger. i have no where to put the clippings...what do you do if you take the clippings home? raise nightcrallers in the debrise?

4. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't agree more. The only time my guys use the bagers is in the fall to pick up leaves. And thats only after they mow it with out. I end up with enough junk at the shop i don't need the clippings too

5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 bagging units. It is night and day compared to a side catcher. Saves alot of time weather you are bagging grass or leaves. I will admitt they are not cheap. Most start new at 2 grand plus.

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I own 2 zrts with bagger. Not cheap but saves a ton of time over those tiny little catchers on the side of your walk behinds. I have the accelarator xl for my 36 wb and oh my god how slow can we go. From 3 weeks after the second round of fert till mid october I can cut just as fast as anyone who is muclhing or throwing. Also I'm willing to say my lawns are alot cleaner that guys not bagging. I bag 95% of the time. In the past I've been assigned to or in charge of 7 different zrts and only 1 did not have a bagger on it.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not really needed, except for fall cleanup, some people you just cant explain things to, i bag one lawn every other week, and i charge double for bagging, and the disposal is there problem...

the bagger for my tank is awsome, really holds alot of grass....

8. wowmowwow

yah thats another Q i had....how easy/hard is it to take it on and off?

9. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Some are easier than others. The more you take it on and off the better you will get. I can take off the Ulta Vacs for the exmarks in about 45 sec. takes about a minute to put back on. If you do go with a spindle driven vac make sure you have the horsepower to run it. Alot of guys seem to like the vacs with a seperate engines. Like peco or trac vac.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow U Lucky Mow Guy!

I wish I did not have to bag, but it is a must at 90% of my lawns in Southern Ma. Any clippings in the beds afterwards or clumping on the lawn that showes up at the following weeks mowing in dead rotted/wilted spots would not be tolerated at my prices charged. You got it made.....