1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pros and cons for 61" walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Feb 22, 2003.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

There are 2 ads in the trade-in-times in my area for 61" walkbehinds. There are 2 Scag hydros. One is for $1000, and the other is for $1100. My question is, how well do 61" walkbehinds perform. The biggest I've used obviously would be my 52" hydro.
    the one for a grand says it in good condition, and the other is in very good condition. It does not list any hours. Do you think it would be worth calling fr or... I'm not afraid to call but I just wanted to get some facts about 61" walkbehinds before I go out and look at them possibly. Peace
  2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Those prices sound suspiciously low. I had a 60in goodall for a year or two--worked great out in a field but was definately a scalper on uneven terrain plus it is much mure difficult to lift the front of the mower (heavy) to avoid scalping. For $1000 though, I would look into one or both of them. Good luck and if you do buy- let me know how the big scags handle (probably much better than my goodall).
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

How Much HP .
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If you remember I paid $800 for my 52" hydro scag fixed with 14hp Kawi. It was/is in great shape with no hourmeter but could tell it was not used full time commercially and taken care of. It is early 90's. I think you should check them out, here is a few things to look for:
    grab each blade and wiggle up and down to check for slop in spindles (bearings going out if sloppy)
    take a level and check the deck for straightness (not levelness just so it isn't warped), pull the cover and check the belts, check engine oil, observe filters to determine if they have been changed recently or if they are old and faded, check hydro oil with a prybar or clean stick, etc. to determine level and cleanliness, look at the fuel filter is it dirty or normal, might look in the fuel tank to possibly see if there is debris floating around or sitting on the bottom in there, etc. Start it up, run it, does it smoke after startup, does it knock, etc. check tires, etc etc. You might even get the model and serial numbers and email them to Chris Frame at Scag ( cframe@scag.com ) to have him check the age of it.
    I know the price is good but if you need a 60" machine I would think you probably would only be using it in areas where a ZTR's ground speed could gain alittle productivity? Of course it would be very cost effective with a sulky, but still.... just curious.
    good luck and let us know if you get them (pics are good too)
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure it's at least 20hp that's for sure...23 is much better for a 61" deck. We only run a minumim of 23hp on our 61" Ferris's.

For $1000 or $1100, I doubt very much they are hydros. If they are, those units will be beat and I wouldn't put too much stock in what life is left in the pumps. Replacing them is gonna run you a minimum of $1000 should they go south on ya.

For those prices, don't expect much, that I can tell you.
  6. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i would think you would get what you pay for......a beat up 61'' hydro(do they make belt driven that big??)that might scalp your lawns for a few months maybe who knows...it never hurts to go look though.
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the posts guys. I called for both of them and one ended up needing a new engine and the other was pretty badly rusted. So no matter what, they were not worth it. Thanks. Peace