pros and cons of a stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green thum, Jul 13, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I was at my local dealer today and was looking at a great dane stander he had(didn't get price)it looked like a solid machine,i will be in the market for a 48" ztr to use on my residential accts and now am considering a stander in the same size.Can someone please point out the pros and cons of one of theses machines?any help will be much appreciated!!I currently have a 60" toro ztr and a toro 48" w/b.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We run 48" Standers, which we switched to last June, upgrading from a Snapper Fastback 52" Z, and 1 48" and 1 36"WB's. First, we can put two Standers on a 10 foot trailer, and still get a 21" Toro on as well. This allows us a smaller trailer size for tighter developments with narrow driveways and tightly parked street traffic. Second, they are awesome on smaller properties with broken areas of landscaping, and then you can go right to a 3 acre property just the same. The Wrights are built like tanks and give a great cut. The controls are responsive and are no problem to run on intermediate slopes. We do properties from 5K all the way to 4 acres plus with ours. The fixed decks have never been an issue with us over the last 13 months at all. I also love the GrassGobbler/ Leaf Extender setup in the fall for leaves...very neat and fast.We also get great dealer service and support.They stripe pretty well, but I am considering stripe kits in the near future. I really haven't found any cons with ours over the last year, I just know I will never go back to WBs again after running the Standers. A factory installed water bottle holder would be nice, though :D

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Had you had any trouble with your knees with bouncing around on lawns?

4. impactlandscaping

No, not noticably. I run the tires at around 14-15 PSI, allowing some give, but still enough to hold the beads on the rim on hillsides and ditchbanks. They really are a versatile machine. I don't mind the standing, I actually prefer it over riding a Z now... our production time has increased over 35% from the previous season, and some yards were cut in half the time with a better cut as well. Every mower has it's place on a trailer, and the Standers were the best fit for our operation.

5. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I've been using a 32" Stander for the past month it's great. Very responsive and fast. As far as the knees go keep them bent a little or lean forward on the balls of the feet. I think it's smoother than the ride I had on the sulky, bigger tires. The other thing people mention is hitting your head on low branches but you are about the same height you would be if riding a sulky so it's the same. Heck I've hit my head on branches when walking and forgot to duck. It just hurts more when you're moving faster. :rolleyes:

6. impactlandscaping

We have a couple of larger acreage accounts with apple trees(mini orchards, actually) all over the back lot. On the Stander, I can manuever undr the trees, eliminating a lot of line trimming inside the dripline area. The first week I had mine, I nailed a Maple limb,about 5" in dia., so hard, it knocked my Peltors off my head.. :dizzy: ...Back to the original post about the Gen II SS, I demoed one last fall at Louisville. It was nice, but I guess I was too partial to the Wrights by then. The adjustable deck would be nice, but I've never needed to change ours here in WV. Maybe in the south, a Sentar Sport would be a better choice for different cutting heights within the same areas...

7. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have a 52 super surfer and a 36 stander. I like them both but, the stander is built better, cuts better, throws clippings better and is faster. My wife has been riding the 52 for about a year now and I can out-cut her with the 36(granted I have 7 years more experience than her). I would not buy the stander as a main mower because of the height adjustment being a pain. I also mow about 62 lawns a week and by the end of the week my knees and feet hurt from being on them all day long. I put about 1 hour on the 36 and about 10-15 on the 52.