Pros and Cons of LEDs

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by DeepGreenLawn, Sep 5, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I know there has been a list of the good things about LEDs and a few bad things.

I just wanted to have a list of the pros and cons for people in the future and something I can learn easier from to then turn around and sell to the customers.

Something easier to read and learn from specifically to this topic.

2. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

1. Brighter (if you poney up and buy full wave sets)
    2. Last longer
    3. Bulbs Don't break
    4. Dont get hot
    5. Use less power
    6. No extra outlets typically needed for installs
    7. Something new vs. what everyone else has
    8. Can hook 43 sets together on most sets, up to 125 sets together with commercial sets.

cons
    1. cost more
    2. Very few people make LED lights well
    3. SOme might not like the look

3. DeepGreenLawn

thanks, what "white" is more white? The cool white or the soft light?

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Cool white is more blue, some people prefer it because it's "different" and looks more "cold and christmasy". I'm not a big fan...

Warm white is closer to std. incandecent light.

Sun white is about part way between the two, from the pictures of them I've seen side by side.

5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the definition of a "full wave set" ?

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We will only be offering LED going forward and are in the process of converting existing customers over the next 3 years as contracts and material expire.

We prefer warm white and do not offer the other whites as an option. It is too expensive to stock that much material.

I hope to make up for the cost plus of LED in less service calls and longer life.

7. DeepGreenLawn

I haven't even looked at anything other than LED myself. I just wanted to get the facts down for when I start selling...

8. turf hokie

We are riding the enviromental go green wave and selling it as energy conservation at 85-90% energy savings. I have one house we are converting over that will save almost 2 grand in electric over the 3 months the display is up.

I am not as willing to give up sources as others on this forum because I like to keep those things on the DL in the open forum but you can pm if you would like.

9. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

dont you have to buy from Christmas Decor? I heard that was the case if you had a franchise. Just curious.

10. turf hokie

"approved vendors" stop knowing too much and causing problems:nono:*trucewhiteflag*

The easiest way to say it is, I am a business owner first and foremost.......so I keep up with what is out there. Put to use what I can....