Pros and Cons of owning a Business

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rusty_keg_3, Jan 19, 2011.

1. RECESSION PROOF MOWING

RECESSION PROOF MOWING LawnSite Senior Member

No offense, but I believe in everything being upfront and personal. What's more personal than your money? Not much. I have loved, loved, loved some of my businesses and jobs in the past, but if they didn't make money, hey...they gotta go. Guys, especially young guys, need to hear this. One of the secrets to my longevity and financial success is that I have income coming in from all angles. I've got ebay income, I've got craigslist income, my wife makes a ton in her business, my mowing accounts bring income, etc. When one is down or takes a hit like I just took with my city park cuts, the others keep churning that revenue out. The adage, and I've heard it plenty before, about loving what you do and you'll never work...that's fine and dandy in a roaring economy when all is bliss and everybody's at full employment. But we're in a bear of a recession, and I don't believe it's getting better no matter what Obama's minions spout to the press. I am living in reality and I hire based on that fact. So remember, when it comes to business and your future success...the more angles you explore, the greater possibility of success and making money. You're gonna fail at stuff, you're gonna take accounts that lose you money. Learn from it, don't make the same mistake. I lost 475 acres of city park mowing and that hurt me. But you know what...I'm not mowing grass for free! I bid what would make me money and provide scope of service to the city and if that isn't good enough...so be it. The city wants small business to lose money, to break even, or work less than minimum wage on their lawns. That's what they want. And there's always schmucks that will. I'll go out and add to my list of churches, small commercial, and residential cuts along with those "ghetto cuts" that I'm famous for. The lesson this veteran learned is that the fame and pride of calling oneself a "Top 3 City Park Cutter" isn't worth the cost. Take that to the bank!

2. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Bruno..... That was positively brilliant.
    Thats was the funniest thing i have read on this site.

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

This should be stickied in the starting a lawn care business section of this forum-LOL.

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

That's great, that pretty well sums it up. :laugh: Well, except for the money part. ;)

5. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

flip side to every pro is the con....if you get this you get it.

customers.
    contracts.
    rain.
    equipment.
    Hoa's
    PMC's
    being your own boss....really...the person paying is usually the boss...get it..

pros

able to work your schedule around family

cons.

taxes.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest pro
    you get to buy trucks , fuel ins , repairs, some clothes ect with pre tax money.

7. tcdodge4000

tcdodge4000 LawnSite Member

So what your saying is that the lawn care market in kc and the whole country sucks because of cheap, bastard customers who wont pay. So is it futile for a person to get in this business since lowballing is standard practice in this industry. you can make a decent buck at landscaping. right

8. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned

Lowballing isn't standard. People think it is. Competitors that are too stupid to sell themselves is the standard. "Lowballing" would imply that there was a motive or they showed intent to do so...... and not many lowball for real out there if you think about it.

There are very few lowballs in our industry for the "loss-leader" sale like people think.

Those cheap bastards are everywhere in life..... so it doesn't matter what you do :laugh: they will be there to screw it up lol.

Lawn maintenance is not for the faint of heart. Just like any other business it takes 1% ingenuity and 99% sweat. The rest will follow suite.

9. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I think it has been said before.

Pros: Mo Money

Cons: Mo Problems

10. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

Con: You can't take off your apron, roll it into a ball, throw it on the ground, and then say "**** you" to your boss and storm away......... unless you are standing in front of a mirror.