pros and cons of rubber mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olebrooklawn, Oct 4, 2010.

1. olebrooklawn

olebrooklawn LawnSite Member

Is it true rubber mulch will last 5 years? Do alot of people use it? I know the price is high but i think people will buy it cause of the longer life. Please give feed back. whats the pros and cons of rubber mulch
    thanks

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

most rubber mulch suppliers will give a guarantee on the longevity of the product, and it lasts very long. This was a quick google search and they guarantee 10 years on the color http://www.playsaferubbermulch.com/

cons are they are expensive up front.

3. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Floats away in heavy rain
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. olebrooklawn

olebrooklawn LawnSite Member

i read that it dont float away in rain. but a flood and water up to doors im sure it will float away.

5. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

I'm telling you from experience that it DOES float. I put it out in a bed and a moderate rain washed a large quantity of it out into the lawn. We have used it on some playground applications with high edging and have had it down going on 3 1/2 years. Still looks decent but has faded.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest con is you don't get the yr to yr income from applying regular mulch on a clients house. I have it at one customers house and I'm not a dan of the way it looks. I think it should be used for play areas not gardens.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest con is you don't get the yr to yr income from applying regular mulch on a clients house. I have it at one customers house and I'm not a fan of the way it looks. I think it should be used for play areas not gardens.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, but so does the regular mulch. I see where people will have big tall/high mounds built up and the lay fabric down with mulch and even in flat beds where the down spout drains into the bed.

9. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a customer and I am friends with his neighbor. He buys the rubber mulch from BJ's or Costco for like $5 or $8 a bag. It looks good from far away but up close it looks very unnatural. It kind of smells when it's hot out.

After so many years it must suck removing it.

10. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

it looks like crap.