Pro's And Con's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Feb 6, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm currently interested in buying a great dane stand-up surfer. It has a 60" deck, not sure of the horsepower, but this thing
    M-O-V-E-S quick! So I'm sure its enough. They also have a 52" same condition, but for some reason its alittle more $$$. I'm just starting this year, and the majority of my accounts have big lots. I have a 36" scag that will fit through most of the gates to the backyard.

What my question is though: For one; What is the difference between the "super" surfer, and the regular surfer? Also do you think I should go for the 52" or 60"? What's the Pros's and Con's of each? Also has anyone, or does anyone own a great dane, and what do they think about it? Would you reccomend it?
    Thank you

P.S. Heres the pic of the 60"

gd61.jpg

2. precisionlawn

Heres the other great dane. Sorry its not a 52" its a 48"!

gd48.jpg

3. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

How much $$$ are they asking depends on worth????

Jon

4. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone that i know who has one lets them sit. they have a good concept but must not have a good ergonomics. I do know that they don't hold hills for anything.

5. precisionlawn

The 60" is 4 years old, and is $1599
    The 48" is 3 years old and is $2399
    None of the properties I have as of yet have any steep hills.
    I dont think I can pass up the 60 for $1599!
    Do they mow poorly? Cuz it just seems like its priced too cheap?
    It seemed perfectly fine when i tried it out.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

They look kinda beat up. For their age they would be in alot better shape if they were mine. I have a 11 year old Scag that is in better condition than those two, from the looks of things anyway.
    As for price, consider that it is the off season. In spring they would sell for 30% more probably and quicker too. I don't know what brentsawyer is talking about, everyone says they are good on hills. Maybe only the Wright Stander is good on hills and not the Great Danes you are looking at? But http://www.greatdanemowers.com/ the GD website has a video that you can download and it shows a GD Stand on mower (what is the current model) going all over hills at a good clip. Looks to cut fine and stripe good. I guess you'd have to try one to know. What size properties and what are the layouts? I would think for 1 acre and up the 60" is better and even fine for some things smaller. If you have a sulky for that Scag w/b and most of the properties are over 1/2 acre I think I would lean toward the 60" for price and size. The 48" will go most if not all places your w/b goes.
    Here is a comparison for actual mow times (average amount of obstacles):
    48" @ 6mph - 2.05 acres/hr.
    60" @ 6mph - 2.57 acres/hr.
    you choose. the 48 probably has less hours and that is why it is more moolah.
    Eric

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

those mowers look in decent shape. a little paint and they would look great. i have never used one so cant tell you how they cut. but as for price I think the 48 is way over priced

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I think it all dpends on how many hours each mower has on it. I wouldn'r go for that 60" cause it will definitley scalp with no rollers. I would look into th 48" maybe. Also, the original surfers like the ones that you wnt to but are build a lot more sturdier than the newer Super surfers since JD has been making them. Both will look brand new with a new coating of paint. JMO. Peace

9. precisionlawn

Is it possible to put rollers on it, if so how much? The 48" is kinda out of my budget, cuz I just purchased a 36" scag. I really need a big mower, and this is about the cheapest i have seen.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

precision, you might not need more rollers. Depends on how high you're cutting and the terrain. You can change the height of the blade under the deck by moving the spacers so the blades are halfway up the deck and that reduces scalping as well as setting the other height controls higher. The higher the blades are in the deck the less it will scalp. I got a 52" fixed deck Scag and with the blades all the way up on the spindles as described, set at 3" or higher I do not have scalping issues so far. I have mowed my hilly two acres with it and didn't see a problem. Note that having the blades higher up reduces pickup vacuum but also reduces blowout. I think the 60 would probably work ok on most properties at 3 1/2" + maybe even lower.
    Eric