Pros/cons of Isuzu lawn truck or similar

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by McFarland_Lawn_Care, Jul 10, 2011.

1. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, so I have enough work that I need a second crew - now comes the questions. I have been looking at the Isuzu cab-over trucks with the 14ft beds and considering that instead of another pickup and trailer. Now some advantages would be easier for the driver to maneuver in tough locations, maybe a TAD better mpg depending on diesel or gas. I live in the north so a con would be that I would have to let it sit all winter - couldn't put a plow on it or anything to make money when the snow flies. I am also unsure weather to go with an enclosed or open body. I would like to hear from some of you guys who have owned one and have either loved it or decided to go back to a trailer and why? Thanks so much - no one has these trucks around here so it really would be breaking new ground. I appreciate you opinions!

Jason

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

The Mitsu FG's are 4x4 and great plow trucks. But with a 14 foot body would be tough plowing, length wise

3. bought a truck with a landscape bed in 2000, my only regrets is that I never bought one sooner.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

For me they suck on the highway and ride horrible. They also let you get rid of the trailer and are great in tight areas. I would look at getting one with a removable ramp and the option of a dump bed. This will allow you to run it late winter delivering mulch before you start mowing and then you could put a leaf box on it in the fall. That should only let it sit for maybe 3 months.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Your in Maine so it may sit longer. You could use it to haul a loader onto a site to push and pile snow.

6. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Pros:
    -great fuel fuel economy
    -maneuverable in tight spots
    -versatile for different jobs
    -great tire wear
    -long lived
    Cons:
    -slow, "won't win and races" as they say

-really no other cons as of my experience
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 2 wheel drive mitsu with a 12 ft grain dump. 9 foot fisher plow with a state road contract. 2 ton ballast and it doesn't even slip a tire. Awsome turning and hides a load no problem. The only problem is that it will eat tires off of trailers if your not careful with the turning radius. We will definitely stick with the cabovers no doubt! Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year with one..I have a 15' isuzu for my mowing crew...it's great on fuel, everything is covered, and is great in tight areas...and you have all that free ad space...

atruck.JPG

truckphoto.JPG

9. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

As I haven't seen any OEM mount for any COE other than the Mitsu FG, did you have somebody modify a plow mount or do it yourself? How extensive/expensive was it? I've been thinking about a UD 2600 or 3300 (FG's too small for what I want), but would like that "winter use" option.

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I've actually been looking at goin this route. I think they are great even for a solo operation
    Posted via Mobile Device