Pros & cons of Scag turf tiger & Kubota ZD?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Aug 5, 2005.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you all tell me your pros and cons of these 2 mowers?

2. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I can only comment on the ZD. It has a pivoting front axle and an integrated hydrostatic drive system that works as a unit but is modular for repairs. The suspension seat is excellent and the overall build quality generally high. The engine has an excellent reputation for reliability and has been very frugal on fuel. The transmission has a ten micron filter similar to many other brands, but some brands have only 20-25 micron filters. Finer is better, in my view, for long hydrostatic life. The pivoting deck rollers are a logical design. The roller wheels have zerk fittings and can be relubricated. That's neat. The kingpins on the front end have tapered roller bearings, definitely a high quality approach. The crank-up front end is superb for folks like me who don't have power lift equipment. I like the looks of the ZD but that is a personal item.

Not so good is the difficulty of access for greasing the aft universal joint on the PTO shaft between the transmission and the mowing deck. If I am wrong and someone has discovered a super-easy way of getting grease into the joint without removing the aft U joint from the transmission, please let me and other frustrated ZD owners know. Once we remove the aft U joint using the sliding sleeve disconnect, it is difficult to reassemble because the sliding sleeve snaps back into place at the slightest bump or jostle, all before it has been positioned on the transmission output shaft. The access area there is a congested place to reach and requires extended arms to get to. Usually the sliding sleeve gets bumped several times before the U joint is successfully slid back into place on the splined output shaft. It is frustrating. We have the ZD-21 and other models may offer better access.

I consider the driveshaft angle leaving the transmission rather steep for optimal U joint life and wonder if that is why the manual calls for such frequent U joint greasing.

The Kubota operator's manual requires quite frequent servicing intervals on many items. I am not sure if this is an equipment design issue or simply an effort by the factory to provide its customers with maximum equipment life. In either case, the servicing intervals on such things as spindles and universal joints is much more frequent than I would expect with modern technology, seals, and lubricants.

For our needs, but not necessarily yours, I would buy the Kubota again tomorrow if necessary.

3. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Already looking at purchasing a mower after you just bought the Gravely. If so, give me a chance to show you what you are getting this time. I sell both Hustler and SCAG.
    Rusty

4. beaver29

Looking at getting a 2nd mower for my big yards. Probably either the scag or kubota?

5. CottonPatch

What did you not like about Hustler? For the bigger yards, the Super Z would be great. In your area, Southland is just hard to beat on service and reliability. But if interested in SCAG, I have two great dealers in Patterson and between Lafayette and Breaux Bridge on Breaux Bridge highway. Let me know and I can demo both lines for you.

6. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i have never demoed the scag...but kubota imo is very comfortable yet slow and takes up way to much room on the trailer.

7. beaver29

Out of the scag and super z which one would give me a better cut? And which one is more durable?

8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

scag is the better built machine, no questions asked

9. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

If youre gonna buy in Lafayette, go to southland. They are quality people, I have a 34z and will be ordering 2 new mowers(super mini z and super z) but wont be getting them for a few weeks.

I was looking to go to the scag/kubota dealership in Breaux Bridge but I think it would be too far out, but I might go look their anyway.

Also Boudreauxs is too small and I always see machines in line being slowly fixed there, and it is hard to get a trailer in and out of that parking lot.

You can check out all of Southland's stuff here www.southlandengine.com

10. CottonPatch

The best thing to do is let me bring both machines out to where you will be and you cant test both. SCAG is heavier built, but in your case it will come down to dealer service. I can show the benefits for both machines and you make the decision. Either way, you will be getting a top notch ZTR. Next week I will be in Shreveport working a convention, but will be glad to set a time and day for the following week.
    Rusty