Pro's @ cons on floating decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSL 23, Oct 15, 2003.

1. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

We would like to know the pro's @ cons on floating deck

thank you GSL

2. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Pro--Quick height adjustment

3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Less scalping due to the fact the deck will flow with the lands conture.........Pro

Harder to find the correct pitch due to the deck being attaced in 4 places on sliding bolts.......No biggi............Con

Floating decks are far suppirior in my eyes, its hard to think of many cons.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I cant think of many cons to a floating deck. I have a 36" exmark with a floating deck. The deck on the 36" is more for ease of height adjustment than to "float" as it only has one anti-scalp roller. I believe this is true for all 36" floaters.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Cons - heavier weight of machine = larger tire ruts when ground is saturated.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

GEES...... compared to fixed, they are no cons......... All the cons are just minimal and nit picky............

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

No cons for floating. Quick height adjust and less scalping are the 2 biggests pros.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you change height more than once in a day (I don't) then a floater is for you.

I personally don't experience any scalping with my fixed, and like its simple, lightweight design.

Plus with fixed decks, you can adjust the blade depth in the deck because the spindles use spacers and a long through bolt, where as a floater uses a small bolt with no spacers like my Lazer.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the size deck, that's D E C K.
    36" or smaller, go fixed, any larger go floating.
    Big positive factor for floating decks as stated above is much easier height adjustment.
    Negatives for floaters, more parts, more weight. Smaller floaters can actually scalp easier than fixed, JMO.