Pros/Cons : walkbehind vs zero turn rider ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitro Junkie, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

Looking for pros/cons for using either one for residential 10,000 s.f +/- :help:

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just get a hydro walk and a sulky or a lawn tractor,or maybe a homeowner Z for about 4k. no sense in spending 6-9k to cut that little lawn......Uless you got it to spend. payup

Also what kind of turf is it,very bumpy or hilly,lots of obstacles,these all have to do with the kind of mower you get.

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Turf Tracer has the same deck as the Ztr and plenty of horsepower available. For residential yards, we prefer running a 60" Turf Tracer. You go maybe a little slower, but have all the advantages of a walkbehind, it also holds hills like you wouldn't believe.

4. Nitro Junkie

from va

my own lawn is a little over 10k with two dogwoods planted in the front of an already small front yard. I have a lawn tractor that I use rather than push which cuts down the time but you can see the where i have to turn around and just doesnt look as nice as the zero turn mowers , riding or walk behind.

still a newb , what do you guys mean by hydro and a sulky ?

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

A walk behind is better for smaller yards. It won't tear the grass up as much. and is cheaper. A hydro has hydrostatic controls, a lot easier to use, and a sulky is a platform you stand on instead of walking behind it. Saves time and walking.

6. Nitro Junkie

from va

what size deck is best for such a small lawn ? I know bigger means less passes but to big and it might not fit into fenced in rear lawns

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

For what you are describing i would go with a 36-48''walk-behind of at least 15 hp and a sulky.

8. Nitro Junkie

from va

one more question .......

Difference between a fixed deck and a floating ?

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Fixed deck is where the deck is bolted directly to the front wheels. It is much harder to change the height of a fixed deck and whenever you go over bumps or hills it digs into the roots of the grass.

A floating deck can move up and down so when you are going over a hill, the deck moves up so it doesn't scalp the grass. It has anti-scalp wheels on the front that raise it while it is going over hills and is much easier to change the height of the deck.

Floating deck costs more than a fixed deck.

Bottom line, if your lawn is flat with little bumps, go fixed deck. If you have a hilly lawn go floating deck.

10. Nitro Junkie

from va

well, i cant thank you guys enough this gives me plenty of info to look at them at a dealer !