1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pros-Cons with shredded rubber mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Odie, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Odie

Odie LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with using shredded rubber mulch in landscape beds? Besides that it doesn't breakdown, or doesn't fade, what are the Pros,Cons in using? Have access to distributer in my area, and am seriously considering using the product in new and established beds.

Thanks,to all.
  2. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

i have heard from guys that sometimes there is still little pieces of metal from the tire that doesn't get removed by the magnet while the process it..
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Suggestion on this forum, Odie: use the search function above[/i]. This is a thread from a few months ago: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680 .

You will find a lot more info if you search. These guys who spent time giving answers in the past are not going to type all that again. After exhausting search info, you can ask for any details not covered in previous discussions.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

use it for playgrounds maybe. Not good for landscaping beds. Would look like a used tire lot.
  5. Odie

Odie LawnSite Member

I did the search prior to starting this thread, that thread discussed using it in a playground application. I just thought that with all the members on lawnsite.com someone might have some experience in using it in a landscape application?

Thanks for the reply though.
  6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have it available in the Detroit area but I am too afraid to use it. If any of the steel belts mistakenly got shredded and left in the mulch it would pose a liability hazzard. My personal opinion the mulch would be too hot it sun areas to support plant life. I think that it would fry any plant life. In areas with no plants that would be good keeping weeds to a minimum.

Just my 2 bits worth.