"Pro's" that don't know what they're doing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PlatinumLandCon, Jul 13, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I walked by a commercila property to see a few guys just finishing up a mulch job. I am in no way a pro, but I think I have a high attention to detail. These guys clearly didn't. The mulch was thrown everywhere! Some plants were getting knocked over, the edges were messy (there was a definitive edge in the bed but the mulch was a mess), they left a trail of mulch from the pile to the site (from stuff falling from the wheelbarrow), etc. Not to mention they didn't have uniforms and 1 guy looked like he lives under a bridge. Its too bad its a commercial client that sends a cheque every month no matter what.

sorry for crappy cell phone pics...

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Looks like they got their 'mulch' straight out of a chipper.
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

your sucky camera probally makes the work look better :)
  4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

yea...I was just really disappointed with this work quality. this is the first plaza north of my school (I picked up my report card today) and I just don't like seeing this on the edge of a main road.
  5. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

please remember the person that did that job may full well know it was a crappy job, but that is what the property owner demanded/required/was willing to pay for

sometimes you take a job that can make you money even if it means you feel like taking the magnet signs off your truck and doing it in the middle of the night

there are plenty of people doing poor work for too much money, but there are more and more people today that will let you make money if you just do it the halfassed way they want it...or they will gladly watch you "care" and make less or no money
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I don't really associate uniforms w/ professional work. In my experiences, customers could care less what the employees look like... they care about what their landscape looks like. My guys don't have uniforms, b/c I try to keep the overhead as low as possible, but you would be hard pressed to find a shrub that needed trimming or weed in the beds on our full service properties.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the uniform, some do i dont. My uniform along with my crew is blue jean shorts, sleeveless shirt, work boots, and when its the 90's off goes the shirt. Most people dont care give a quality job and priced right thats that last thing they care about. I stay swamped from early spring to late fall if uniforms would give me more business that the last thing i want.
  8. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are crazy, i think the job looks good! LOL I should call them to come to my house.
  9. Primetime-SRQ

Primetime-SRQ LawnSite Member

Or heck.. that may have been the owner out there doing it... LOL
    Shorts and a sleeve-less shirt here also... And lots of sunscreen.
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You are a redneck! jk! I have been wearing these columbia shirts w/ the vents... they are great. My shorts are in pretty poor condition though... they are almost pokadoted blue w/ pipe glue!