1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

proslide - anyone try?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hunter, Jul 1, 2003.

1. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

was looking at these and was wondering if anyone has used these? I've never seen anyone with one. this is what they have to say about it on their site.

# Lifetime warranty on maintenance-toward free, self-will lubricated bronze bushings
    # Universal bracket fits most mid size walk-behind; can be adapted to all Quick release hitches
    # Unique folding design automatically retracts out of your way
    # Tough, long-lasting powder coated finish
    # Rides at ground level
    # No slip aluminum tread plate will not rust
    # Low friction engineered thermoplastic wear plate with beveled edges will not damage lawns
    # Heavy 1/4" and 3/16" steel frame takes harsh abuse
    # Powerful gas springs with 2 year warranty (call for details)

Opinon's wanted.

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

some people like them. when they first came out I demoed one. I am not a little guy so at take off the mower would get light in the front. Once moving it was just fine and did its thing very well.
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Also larger than 'average' myself, makes front end way too light, slightest wave in turf and front end comes off ground.
    More importantly, you will be 'grounding' out often (or always) leaving trails/flats on your nice freshly cut lawn.
    Do like the feel of the 'ride' though.
  4. One thing you can't do with it is, ride it on pavement or concrete.

That one can't will keep me from ever buying one.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We have one and really like it when compared to the options for the lawns we cut.
    LGF is right as far as riding pavement. If you have lots of travel space like parking lots or runs between lawns that are rough then you cannot slide on it. We don't have that problem. I'm 200# and a Kohler 15HP 1 lunger hydro pulls me around with no problem.
    The big benefits of the slide is that it lays a nice stripe, it flods up for storage on the trailer without unhooking, when you have to back up you cant jack knife a pro slide.
    We have 500 hours on the original plate. The thing that you replace are the little springs. 5 or 6 bucks once a year.

They are not for everyone but they sure help out the old pins as opposed to walking and you get alot of looks from the public. Good Luck. BTW there is lots on this in Search.

june3 157.jpg
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm still debating over Jungle Wheels or pro slide. On the issue of weight distribution, does the proslide reduce the mowers ability to hug a side hill that the mower has no problem handling on its own?
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well actually if you have a hydro there is only one to choose; the Bullrider. Neither of the other two can go backwards will any authority. However, if you aren't going backwards then you might as well not bother.
  8. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have a ProSlide with 500 hours on it and I love it. The springs on mine have to be replaced every year because I get carried away at times riding the slide. It's fun!!! I have also bought a new slide plate last year after 300 hours of use. The new slide cost about $35.00. Over all, the ProSlide is great addition to my equipment.
  9. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

appreciate all the info, but oneother question.

Do you need to add weight to the front to counter balance?
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use mine more on asphalt etc than on grass due to a commercial property that has grass in different areas the plate lasts about a year with constant use on hard surfaces and is about 35 dollars to replace. the springs havnt worn out in 3 years because i keep them oiled to prevent rust wich is what broke the first set of springs