Proslide Help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, I picked up a Proslide (on the box and label it says Dura-slide although the dealer invoiced it as a Proslide. Is there any difference?

Second question. I mounted it to a 32" Exmark Metro.

I followed the directions completly where you measure the back plate of the frame, and there is a supporting bracket. Measure that, drill your holes and put the bolts in. Well, the one bolt I got in, the second bolt I couldn't *IF* I used the re-inforcing back plate that comes with the dura-slide.

THe problem is the main huge drive pulley for the entire mower (thing has gotta be a 12 inch diameter disc) smack under the mower) is slightly off-center to begin with, so I can't get the second bolt in.

Now, I could either drill NEW Holes and re-mount the entire dura-slide about 3/4" off to the right, which from an operators point of view would make the platform slightly off-center.. I don't even know if it would be perceptible or not, but I also don't want to weaken the back of the frame by drilling a second set of 25/64" holes about 1 inch away from the existing holes I just put in.

If I don't use the dura-slide "extra support" backing plate, then I can get the bolts in fine. That is what I did for now just to test it out. Is the Exmark deck thick enough where the extra backing plate is not needed?

Second question: The Dura-slide in the upright position hits into the "knee-tap" gear shift lever (R N 12345). Is that "impact" of the dura-slide being lifted up by the gas cylinder enough to cause a problem for the transmission shifter? I figure I probably hit the lever harder with my knee, but that is moving the lever sideways in the direction of travel it was made to go. This is a vertical impact, and the lever is fixed in that direction. I just don't want to cause any problems down the road.

But I tested it out on VERY wet grass tonight just to see how it works. I'll check out the stripes it made tommorow morning, and it was silly to mow in such wet grass cause I made divots real easily.. But it was fun flying around in 4th gear cutting...

Any advice?

Thanks!!

2. Doogiegh

Anybody have any answers for this one for me? Thanks for any help.

3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

No answers but just wondering if the Dura slider was any cheaper a\m trying to get one soon?
    AK Lawn

4. Doogiegh

I believe it was $229.25.
    Thanks

5. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! For the same price you could have gotton a nice 2 wheel sulkey from exmark. I just got one for my 48" exmark. No drilling, just bolted right on. Wheels line up with mower wheels so my stripes look tight.

You may not want to hear this, but......stick it back in the box and head for your exmark dealer.

I must add that I never tried a Proslide type thingy. Can you tell me why you chose this over a wheeled version? They look to me like they are dangerous.

Thanks, Landscraper

6. Doogiegh

I got the pro-slide because I saw some of the before and after pictures on here, one of a football field stands out in my mind, and like the way it looked. I also like the way it folds up out of the way under the mower with the spring-loaded cylinder so quick and easy.

I tried it out last night and it felt really good, it was like water-skiing or surfing. <G> It was actually fun.

All I want to know is if the reinforcing bar is necessary or not and if the pro-slider in the transport position, it hits the knee-level grear selector and I wasn't sure if that was a problem or not.

My dealer that I bought it from is an Exmark dealer and he told me to try it for a week. If I don't like it, bring it back and he'll put it on one of his demo units instead and give me my credit back and then I can get the 2-wheels..

I'm doing small residential properties, real small. How does a 2 wheel one work in reverse?

Thanks!
    32" Metro, 12.5 Kawi, gear driven.

7. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't work too well in reverse without a little practice. And it's a bigger pain to stow for travelling than I though it would be. However, it does come on and off so fast that I might just do that instead of cabling it up for transport.

I am VERY happy with it. If you haven't tried it, do so. To each their own, but this thing requires no balance. It's like riding, where the Proslide looks like it drags you.

Good luck with your rigging, I wish I could help you more with that. And thanks for pointing out the +s of the "sliders".

Landscraper.

8. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I think a 32 inch is a bit small to put a sulky on. don't you have the smaller wheels? you must be spinning your tires constantly. I pull a jungle wheels with my 36 inch toro. I have the same problem with the nuts from the pullling plate interfering with the pulley. I don't have a backing plate. But when I changed my drive belt it took me awhile to figure out that I have to take off my sulky plate.

9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't need the reinforcing plate. I couldn't use it on my Scag and have had no problems in 3 years using it.

10. Doogiegh

Yes, I do have the smaller tires overall on the 32" Exmark Metro. Do you know if one can change the tires that come on a mower to a large diameter or would that be adding stress to the engine and belts?

I did cut the lawn tonight with the proslide on and the stripes it makes are terrific. The only problem I had was wheel spin, but I'll have to play around with that more. I think that may of been me wanting to go faster than turf conditions would allow and not being an expert user as of yet. (barely a novice for right now, just got the mower on Saturday)

I checked the back of the frame and so far, I can't see or noticed that it bent at all from pulling me around so, so far so good on that regard.

I'll have to continue to experiment and see what I can find. Thanks!

Gary