Proslide or Two wheel sulky: Wich is harder on the Hydros?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jun 28, 2008.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used both and like both but the Proslide seems like in theory they'd wear the hydros out faster (more Drag). I think if the Proslide trailered it would be a lot smoother. I'm not so sure of this though any opinions?

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought this question was important due to the high cost of hydro repairs?

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't used a Proslide, but your logic seems sound. Basic physics...

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting rid of my one wheeled sulkys, and buying proslide's for my WB's. I think my hydros will be fine...I weight about 155, and I guess maybe I will discreminate against any larger workers...lol.

My guy right now is smaller than me so, I think it'll will depend mostly on how much weight you'll be pulling around all day. If you have DUAL hydros, and weight on the light side, you should be fine.JMO

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

Tell us how it turns out. I actually just ordered the Velke X2. Can't wait to get it and quit wobbling around on my Havener...

6. MileHigh

That looks like a solid two wheel sulky. I really like the mobilty of a one wheeled unit...but I hate that darn line it puts down the middle.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

Yeah, but an even bigger deal for me was how they wear to the point of wobbling like crazy and digging into the grass on turns if you don't lean properly. But maybe that was just a result of having bought an off brand.

MowerSulky_MS2000L.jpg

8. MileHigh

Dude....with that sulky, I would be half tempted to pull the wheel off and mount two wheels on the outer sides of the sulky..making it a two wheeler. See what I mean?

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

That's EXACTLY what I did... Then THAT failed on me... twice. So I threw ONE wheel back on to survive until the X2 arrives.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How I see things is I learned over the years with these units no matter how we turn the corner there are certain rules that need to be followed... Fail to follow these rules and either the units themselves or some part on the mower related to the use of the unit will fail, be it belt drive or hydraulics it seems it is only a matter of time.

In the case of what and how it is hard on the mower, any time we get ready to go up steep hills the mower has to do a lot of extra work so the operator needs to slow down and preferably come to an almost complete stop, then step off the riding attachment, and last but not least one unfortunately has to walk with that mower up the incline.

I've never owned a hydraulically-driven Wb but I am pretty sure the same rules apply, the simple fact of the matter is the manufacturers don't make Wb's with the intention of having an attachment, they even specify their machines are not intended for this very use someplace...

So, I learned to follow certain rules. Doing so will not only prolong the life of the components, but it's also a safety issue because if that mower ever rears itself and someone needs to get out of the way of a mower that's fixing to come tumbling down that hill I would think the operator will likely be in a better position having already gotten off that riding attachment.

Hope that makes sense.

This is another case of following the rules and not to rain on the parade but just because a 2-wheeler doesn't do the wobbling the case here concerns proper maintenance because if it isn't properly maintained I'm not so sure it's a much better idea.

I learned one needs to replace the brass bushings both in the trailing arm and inside the hitch once a year, that is part of regular maintenance and comes in addition to greasing the zerks and inspecting it for proper working condition daily.

Yes, grease and inspect the sulky every single day, psi in the tire too, please.

See because that's what I do and I have three of these single wheel units and every one lasts me more than a few years, I buy a new one about every 4-5 years which is to say I had to learn more than a few things the hard way too.

Good luck.