proslide problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve9, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

When I first got my proslide(love it) I mowed in 3rd gear. However it seems like my Skag 36 Belt Drive WB 15 HP Kohler has gotten slower and slower. Now i mow in 4th gear Sometimes 5th easy. I usually mow 1/4 acre lots but yesterday I mowed a lot about 2 acres. By the time i was done it was barely moving in 4th gear. Is this a belt problem? The belt seems tight to me. Maybe as the belt heats up it stretches or glazes and slips? It seems the more I use it in the day the slower and slower it gets. Have I ruined my tranny?
    I guess buying a new belt would answer a lot but it looks fine to me. Just wondering if anybody else noticed this?
    BTW, the engine sounds and is running perfect and blade speed seems fine and it still cuts well.

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

If the engine is running fine, The belts can be adjusted. Make sure the air filter is clean. Check out your manual for adjustments or have your dealer do it. I used these a couple of seasons good machine, very dependable,good cut. Moisture on an already loose belt can really make them slip alot worse Later

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you that it doesn't sound like a Proslide problem unless you have tacked spikes thru it or have gained 2000 lbs. I don't own a belt drive but I do have a 15 hp Hydro that has no problem towing my 200+ lb carcass in all weather.
    I am gonna say it has something to do with the belt drive but I am by no means an authority on them.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That would be belt slippage. It might be the belt from the engine to the tranmission, under neath the engine deck? Or your others could be slipping. Yes a slipping belt can get worse as it get hot (some of them get stickier and work better but some just glaze or stretch as you said). I'm familiar with those transmissions, your tranny is not damaged don't worry. I had one in a rear engine rider Toro mower once and i did everything with that mower... i abused the snot out of the transmission too.... i shifted without clutching, both from a stop and while moving... i feathered the clutch adn shifted from 3rd to reverse while still rolling foward at mowing speed... i mastered the Y turn with that mower man i was fast at it too LOL. I pulled all kinds of heavy loads with it, the most that ever happened was a transmission belt wore out.
    Just check your belts really good, there is probably tension spring adjustments to adjust the spring tension on the drive belts to the wheels.

5. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I know its not actually the proslide itself but I was concerned about the tranny pulling my fat 200# butt around. I gained 15# after the proslide becasue I dont have to work so hard! Now thats irony. By using thier product i exceed the recommended 180# wieght? Ha!
    I did do some adjusting to make the grips easier to squeeze, maybe thats the problem. I'll check it out.
    Any suggestions on tightening that tranny belt on the advantage deck? I havent found any other way that to have somebody pull by hand on the pully while I tighten it. That doesnt work very well! I just see no way to somehow use a lever/ screwdriver to push the pully back to get the belt real tight and then tourqe it down. The blades pully has a convenient nut/bolt that You just tighten it down to tighten the belt. That would be nice!

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Belts can look fine, but actually stretch out once they get going. My 15 hp wb pulled my 250+lb butt around all summer no problem.

:D

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well there you go, i'm positive that was your problem. What you did is, by making it easier to squeeze, took some pressure off of the belts which lets them slip a little easier. The harder it is to squeeze, the tighter the belts are, and the less they slip and the less they wear. Its a vicious cycle isn't it. Well thats the life of belt drives. one day when you get a hydro you'll wonder why you didn't before. Anyway, tighten them back up there and see what ya get.