Proslide & Prosteer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, May 16, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering if anyone is using a gravely with pro steer steering and a proslide? I dont know if its just me but it seems like it would be difficult to steer and hold on while on the mower because you have to push forward on the sticks and theres nothing really to hold on to then if you have to let off of them alittle. Anyone else seeing what i'm saying? I think the toro T bar would be the same.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I just got my proslide today and put it on and was playing with it in about 5 minutes. I put it on a belt drive 44" toro. So far I like it ok, though like every sulky it has its pros and cons. I will need a little more weight on it up front, since the deck is fairly light to begin with. But on flat terrain it doesn't rise up. With the T bar, I had no problems with holding on. The problem was getting enough traction to overcome having to swing my 200 lbs around the mower, rather than trailering behind or rolling on a castering sulky.

It did gouge some on bare areas in the sandy soil here. I even rutted some bare spots when the wheels spun looking for traction, but then I was really steering hard to see what would happen. I really like how you can just step off and walk, and it really does seem to be out of the way when retracted.

The biggest negative to big castering sulkies or any two wheel sulky really is that when I do need to walk all that bulk is in the way. I also had a 2 wheel velke and hated the side to side rocking motion that seemed to make steering the mower harder. I think the Toro tru-track sulky? with independent wheels might prevent that problem, so it would be my first choice to try in a wheeled sulky on a hydro mower.

I was strongly considering a Gravely 36" prosteer hydro, so I would also like to hear if anyone has a problem with it. I intend to use it mostly on small properties where I can walk anyway in turns and on hills if required, so it's not the big deal it would be for someone using it everywhere.