1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Proslide the best option for stand on WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jan 4, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see how no flat tires can be a heck of lot less PITA, I'd much rather change the slide plate on my own schedule than fixing a flat during the middle of the day. But, how does the manuverability compare to 1 wheeled sulkies? how about 2 wheled sulkies? just by looking at it it seems the corners will dig into anything but ultra flat ground when doing a "zero turn" with a WB hydro.

It also looks like the shear size of it requires you to check your clearances on every turn, looking behind and to the sides to make sure you don't chop down the saplings. Where as the wheeled units seem to have all the hardware directly beneath your feet. I have never used any type of stand on unit, but it seems the wheeled ones would make the 180 degree turns a lot better.

When you step off it to go over pavement or mow steep hills it looks like you need to extend your arms and walk further away from the mower than usual to avoid hitting your shins on the unit. However it looks like a better option compared to the wheeled units that look like you need to lift and clip every time you need them out of the way which I will be doing a lot because of many steep hills on my props.

I really need some type of stand on unit for next year, and I don't really care about the price as long as it is the easiest to use. So, is the Proslide the best option for stand on WB?
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Anything is a PITA in this line of work. I looked into pro slides for my stuff but I didn't like a few of the things you had mentioned. I ended up buying actual striping kits and we use one wheeled Velkie's on our mowers. One nice thing is they act as a stripe kit so you have 2 functions in one. But I looked at manuverabulity stand point, I have never used one so I really don't know for sure but they seem like they would be hard to back up and manuver in tight spots. All that time adds up. IMO, get a single or two wheeled sulky.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

In a tight spot just step off and they are spring loaded and will lift up on their own, when you get back into more manueverable territory, push it back down. Stripe kit and sulky in one. I like them! Don't have one though
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't know how to mow correctly/efficiently, they are fine.
    However, they can't mow backwards......End of story..........
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pete I was told you can back up a foot or so. Need to hear from people who own them though.
  6. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

proslides are fine, ya just gotta take the good with the bad.
    i'll list a few things about them
    lays a nice stripe
    glides over holes/ruts
    no tire marks
    stays out of the way when not in use

you must be careful not to hit things in a turn (stumps etc.)
    makes it hard to keep the nose of a light mower down. especially on hills.
    it will gouge raised flower beds if you get too close
    limited reverse ability
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Dan, I was thinking about trying a few out with our 52's and 61's.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I used a proslide all of last year on my new walkbehind. I have never used any other form of sulky. I wouldn't even want to try out a 1 or 2 wheeled sulky. I love my proslide. It leaves a fabulous stripe. Being able to retract it up out of the way is priceless. As far as manueverability compared to a 1 or 2 wheeled sulky, obviously I can't make any claims, but I can say that I don't think it would be any slower. When I get in a good rhythm, after several days of practice once you first start using it, you can really turn it quick by stepping off just enough to take the pressure off the plate to increase traction and then once you've got it most of the way turned you stand back on and away you go. I don't know how well the proslide would do on a belt driven walkbehind because I have a hydro walkbehind.

Only once or twice have I had a problem with it digging in to the turf and that was in flower beds when I wasn't paying attension and hadn't learned where I'm at with it yet. Once you get a feeling for how far you stick out behind the machine, it's not a problem.

Going down hills can be tricky, but I've learned that if you slow way down at the top of the hill (as long as it's not a large hill) you can accelerate down the hill enough so it won't retract up under the machine. I've had several times where it will retract up. I just hang on and keep my balance and wait for it to pull tight again, it hasn't been a problem for me, but I'm 19 and could probably handle the retraction a little better than some. Also, on smooth pavement it can retract if you slow down suddenly to make a turn onto the grass or if the pavement is slopped down.

One additional note, if you have a lighter weight walkbehind, most likely with smaller deck sizes, you will probably want to add counter weights to the front, because it will want to pull the front end up going up hills.

I would highly recommend the proslide. Hope this helps...:waving:
  9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Proslide on a belt is fine. You are going to have to get off to pull it in reverse anyway. With a hydro I prefer to have the wheels. Down side is, at least in my mowing conditions, the skid plates do not last long. In one season went thru about 100 dollars worth on one mower without any riding time on hard surfaces. Also the springs and shocks that retract the plate are not cheap. They lasted one season.
  10. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a 2 wheeled sulky, one wheeled and proslide. The only type I havn't tried is the castering 2 wheel type.

The one wheeled rides nice for a sulky however I hate the line down the middle and stopped using it for this reason. You also sink in a lot more than with the other types.

The 2 wheeled rides fairly good and doesn't leave the 1 line dead center on the mower. The only draw back is once you get going fast you can tend to fish tail a little if its rough. What happens is one tire hits a bump and slows down and the other one goes ahead faster. Its not much but I felt it in my knees more after the day.

The proslide works great. Its whats on the mower now. It does take a little bit more power to pull. I also notice the front of the mower wanting to pop up a little more but I don't have weight on it. It is nice for going on and off the trailer as its retracted. Also its easy to get it out of the way if you don't want it. I have never hit my shins on mine yet. The one wheeled had a chain kit to lift it up and that wasn't too bad to do either. The proslide strips great. If the ground is a little wet you don't sink in because the weight is spread out. As far as backing up goes.. you can back up a little bit no more than a foot if that, maybe 6". What happens is the unit will start to retract. You can however run one wheel back and one forward and now have a problem because the proslide is actually moving sideways and not back wards. You also always stay right behind the controls and there is no twisting like with a pivoting sulky.

The castering sulkys look nice because you can go in reverse with them and you are always right behind the controls like the proslide.

If I had to rate them I would put proslide first, then from what I have seen at least the casterings ones right behind but not by much, then the 2 wheeled, then the one wheeled. I can't stand the strip. Some lawns I would walk the front and then ride the rest just because it looked nicer.

I bought my proslide off a member on LS here. If you ask around I'm sure you will find one for sale. I think mine was around $180 with shipping and that included a brand new spare wear plate as well.

The first link is to a sulky I made myself about a year ago its a 2 wheeled one. The other links are comparing the different types of sulkys. Any more questions feel free to ask me.