Proslide turning question....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Sharks, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, heard about the Proslide on this forum but never really bothered looking into them for multiple reasons. I hear some commercials mowers fire up around the corner and it sounds like a yard that is usually done by the homeowner. So, I grab my coffee and stroll down the street and find two guys working 48" Prolines with Proslides.

I watched for awhile and have to say that I was impressed with the maneuverability and striping of the Proslide but had one question which was not answered watching these two kids (wearing no hearing protection and tennis sneakers btw).

Whenever they finished a stripe they just locked up a wheel with the hydro and spun it around. No K turn and divots on every turn.

My question is how do you do K turns as my work ethic prevents me from making divots on every turn. Do you step off the Proslide while doing the K turn? Do you stay on it during the backup portion? Couldn't get a clue how it would work with these hacks but was very interested in possibly putting one on my 48".

Any Proslide users out there care to elaborate on using the Proslide during a K turn?

2. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

On my Exmark 36 TTHP I run a proslide. I am able to effectivly make a zero radius turn while riding the slide. The key is practice. Don't let the inside wheel stop. Go straight from forward to backward ( matching the other wheels speed - in the other direction. While doing this, shift your weight to the outside leg (the one going forward), this allows the portion of the proslide that is backing up to slide better. Practice on your own yard.

Joe

3. Lawn Sharks

Thanks Rockhouse. I guess you are say that you just stand on the Proslide in reverse. The turn you describe would line you up with the previous stripe if I am not confused so was wondering if the slide had to be manipulated in any way. I did see one of these kids start to back up from a hedge and the proslide looked like it was folding underneath for some reason but he was at a disatance.

Cheers

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't usually do the zero turns on the proslide. A bid drawback is having room to do it without screwing up your stripes. I usually step off and do a 3 point turn, then step back on.

5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

we had proslides on our walkbehinds back in our mowing days. Typicaly the guys would hop off real quick, the proslide will retract up to the position it is in when not in use, and then hop back on. We would do the zero turns and you just need to get the right touch so you are not locking up the tires. But on alot of our turns when they would turn the proslide would grab the turf some times so it was just easyer to hop off. the proslide retacts back up pretty quickly so there is not waiting or anything. they worked great for us and do a great job with the stripes.

6. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

I'm seriously rethinking getting a pro slide after reading all this . how does a bull rider compare to a pro slide ? and could a 36 hydro pull a bull rider ? would it be to wide for a 36 ?

BTW sorry for kinda hijacking this thread and taking it off topic .

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I spin every turn. If i'm turning left i will turn the left wheel backwards and the right wheel forwards. You spin in a circle.
    John

8. Lawn Sharks

Thanks John.

I guess it is just a matter of my description that leads me to confusion. I can get to the end of the stripe, have one wheel go in reverse, the other wheel go forward and spin on a dime without taking a divot but once complete I would be pointing to remow the same stripe. I guess what I am trying to say is that a K turn, where you turn towards the next stripe has a bit of backwards movement in it to liine up for the stripe. Maybe I should just buy one and try it out instead of confusing myself even more. Thanks for the response.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sorry i didnt say this correctly.

I hook to the left line up with the other stripe then i turn the wheels in the opposite direction. its not a k turn like you would do on a rider. it more HOOK to the left and SPIN and GO!!!!!!

John

10. Lawn Sharks

Bingo, that is basically what I do but probably not as good at it as you are and put a little safety backwards into it. Perhaps I should just get better at the SPIN and GO part without taking a divot.

:)