1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ProSlide Users (Advice needed)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Double D, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Have installed a ProSlide on my 52" hydro. I was wondering if I should take the Slide off the machine when it is not in use? I am part-time, and it might go 3-4 days without any use. Does leaving it on the mower put unwanted stress on the unit. Also, how do you folks turn without tearing up the turf. I realize that it takes a bit of practice, but any pointers would be nice.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

You have to find the neutral position of the grip. When you do this you will be able to push and pull the mower with somewhat of ease. What you need to do is get into the neutral position of the grip toward the side you want to turn and pull back on that grip. You may need to feather the other grip to slow the machine down when you are first starting out. Mine almost ripped my arm off cuz I pulled the grip all the way up and it locked the tire and swung around. But after a while it's second nature.
  3. Southland

Southland LawnSite Member

Good to see another ProSlide user out there. I have been using mine for about two months on a 48" hydro. As for removing it when not in use for a few days, don't. It's not worth the trouble and it doesn't put any undue stress on the mower. As for tearing up the turf, we don't seem to have that problem. Even when making zero turns there is no damage. Give it a little more time and eventually you should get the hang of it.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark hydro and use a one-wheel Velky on some properties. On good lawns, I walk because I don't want the single wheel mark down the middle.

Will a ProSlide resolve this problem? I've seen notes about the unit, but have not seen one in person. How does it attach to the mower? Does it slide on the turf, between the drive wheel tracks? How does it not dig into the ground when turning? How about backing up? If it is dragging on the turf, doesn't it take significant power to pull? How much does it cost?
  5. dhicks

dhicks Member

I use a ProSlide on my Hustler Hydro. The ProSlide has been on the machine for almost a year. Taking the ProSlide off between customers is not worth the effort. As for turning the Hustler: No problem making a zero turn while standing on the ProSlide. Practice makes perfect.

The ProSlide is one of my most used accessories and worth every penny.
  6. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Just to clarify, I am talking about the 3-4 days that my mower will not be used. Does leaving the Proslide hanging in the air, attached to the mower wear out the gas pistons any faster? I also can turn the mother around in its own tracks, but I leave a nice torn patch of turf where the one wheel made the pivot. What is the best way to turn and not tear any turf? Sorry if my initial post was unclear.
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

Nope the gas pistons prevent the stand-on plate from snapping back to the upright position. I know this because I broke one of the stand-on plates springs last year and without the spring, the plate would be almost hang to the ground. Buy extra springs now because they will break.

Tearing Turf: If you notice that when you make a turn, the wheel that is not moving but rather pivioting across the turf is what's doing the damage. When making your zero turns, control your machine so that one wheel will be moving forward while the opposite wheel is moving backwards. Once you learn this, no more damaged turf.