1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Proslide, Velke, or Bullrider for Rough Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scout_pete, Apr 30, 2005.

1. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

Just about to pull the trigger on a Ferris W/B and need to pick the best ride. I know I need a two-wheel or Prolide to avoid rutting. Which of the two is going to compact my spine the least?
  2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

no doubt, proslide. It's all about surface area and it's impossible for two wheels mounted on any type of frame to compete. I've had both and the back section of my yard is very rutty and bumpy. There is no comparison, get the slide.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a proslide yesterday from another lawnsite member and if your a bigger guy its a pain to make it work. I'm about 260-270 and the ground is moist (had rained the night before but I was cutting at 7 pm last night) and the mower wanted to keep spinning the tires when turning. You have to lean alot in the turns to make it work too. I'm sure when i get the hang of it i'll be able to get it to work without spinning. As for bumpy lawn (of which my lawn is) its real smooth, better then the 2 wheel sulky i had, you'd break your neck on that thing, at least on here you don't feel much.
    Maybe i just need to loose weight? :D
  4. kwelch

kwelch LawnSite Member

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

You proslide guys help me out here.

From what I understand about proslides, they are simply a piece of metal attached to the mower that you slide on, no wheels or anything?

My walkbehinds tend to be light in the front anyway, and I have a two wheel sulky. I would think that the drag behind the mower would be greater causing the nose to be lighter than it already is.

6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

If this is occuring then add a weight set to the front of the mower to balance it out. I don't see it a problem for all the skinny guys out there but my 240lb frame would probably cause it to be front end light.
  7. I run a Turf glyder.... I'n not sure about everyone else, but once I got use to it I wouldn't use anything else
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I secound this.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I third this. I own 3 and would not own anything else.
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i vote proslide