1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

proslide vs. 2 wheeled sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 25, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I have a 1 wheeled sulky on my ferris 52" DD and don't like the single strip it leaves. I am trying to decide if I want to get a 2 wheeled or proslide. Does the proslide take much more pulling power?
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Proslide takes very little more power. Now this also depends on how large you are??? I am 210 and have no problem with it on my 36" 15hp mower. Now you will need to add about 20 lbs of weight on the front of the mower so it does not pop wheelies. Other than that it is probably the best thought out parts of a mower.
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

2-wheeled sulky all the way, can't run proslide down here due to concrete blocks all around and many properties have raised their pop-up sprinkler head high over sods, proslide will damage the heads not going over like 2-wheeled velke, besides nobody ever runs them in my area.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When you say sulkie do you mean the sit-down thing? Because technically, the stand-on is called a velke and the sit-down is a sulky thou they get miss-labeled all the time, even by the mfg's.

If it's a sit-down, you do NOT want a sit-down attachment on a Wb, that is a very bad idea as your knees will one day be IN the way of the fixed control bar as the Wb hits a ditch or other incline, the front of the Wb will raise as it drops the rear control bar into your knees - Your FEET are resting on a steel plank this time, so there's nowhere for your legs to go, plan on SEVERE pain. However, the sit-down MIGHT be ok for a large, FLAT yard.

Now 2-wheeled velkies are ok so long you don't plan on exceeding 3-4 mph, even then they like to 'fish-tail' and I find this VERY annoying. At high speed (6+ mph) 2-wheeled velkies wave back and forth so bad it shakes my legs side to side and I hate the stupid things... To me, a 2-wheeled VELKE is like a velke with a training wheel - Get the real thing: 1-wheel.

Keep in mind with the 1-wheel velkie the true secret is to keep the bushings and moving parts FRESH, about once / year I like to replace worn out parts such as in the hitch and trailer arm as doing so keeps the 1-wheeler nice and steady.
  5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a one wheel velky now. I just don't like the line it leaves down the middle. I was looking at 2 wheeled jungle wheels, 2 wheeled velky, the castering bullrider, and the proslide.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well ok, the 2-wheeler leaves 2 lines LOL thou they are more inline with the mower's wheels, they're close to the rear tires in width... Not really sure if they ARE inline, I'd have to check on this.
  7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

1 wheel velkies tend to tear up turf more in damp grounds
  8. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I love my Pro-slide; I've run over anything I would take my mower over with out any problems. By being as large as it is it distributes your weight very well over a larger area and doesnÂ’t leave any ruts. jmho Good Luck, littlenic:waving:
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also used a sulky, velky and proslide. I like the slide, by far, over anything else I have used. It is there when I need it and up and out of the way when I don't. Smooth ride and no ruts.
  10. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

Guys I'm unfamiliar with the Proslide, could someone share with me who the manufacturer is, or web address?