1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Proslide will it pull me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lazerZ04, May 28, 2004.

1. lazerZ04

lazerZ04 LawnSite Member

Hi guys you are awesome. I was just wondering if a proslide will be able to pull my 180lbs. body behind my 36in belt drive. If not than what should I get.
  2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Shouldn't be an issue. I believe there are a few on here that have 36's. what engine do you have? You may experience some strain but it should work.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It perhaps will, but being a belt drive, you are far better off with a 2 wheeled trailing type sulky. MUCH less resistance, and more power reserve for your mower.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

After trying a proslide I just got, I have to say, you really need a heavy mower with plenty of power, wide tires for traction, etc, to use the proslide to best effect. I tried it on 44" and 32" belt drives, both of which are light up front. Weights help keep the front down, but I'm still getting too much resistance to tight turns and some wheelspin that damages turf. I wind up stepping off, which is too awkward to do all the time. So mine is going up for sale soon unless I wind up with a different hydro wb somehow. Both gear drive wb's were noticeably slower with the proslide, and it took more steering effort than the trailering Velke, which I love, but the single wheel isn't acceptable on the turf here.

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

I have a JD 36" wb with a 13hp Kohler. I put a set of Jungle Wheels on it and for me it does just fine. I weigh 187 lbs. I do have to step off on occaision, but those times are few. IT SURE BEATS WALKING!!!!! It also allows me to bump it up another gear in normal conditions. It has a 5 spd. and I can cut in 3rd.
  6. lazerZ04

lazerZ04 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. What is the best 2 wheeled sulky out their for me. How do the ones with swivel wheel types work?
  7. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I just recently put a proslide on my 36" belt drive, at times it will get light in the front, and if not careful can spin the tires. Because you can't do tight turns without spinning the tires it can be impractical in small areas, but for the larger lawns it's a huge time saver!! Also it will leave nice stripes. If you do buy one look on ebay you can get great deals there.
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A velke x2 are the best. The can fold up and completely rotate around. Unlike the jungle wheels which jack knife when backing up. The swivel type ones are nice, but bad for tight areas. Since they don't track behind mowers, so they swing wide around corners. Which could cause you to hit something. I stop using walkbehinds with sulkys, because sulkys are a pain. I run the stander now, and that seemed to solved the problem.
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

If I stick with a walk behind in the inventory I will probably go to a velke X2. Which sucks, because I SOLD one last year at a loss already to go back to the one wheel! But I also like how it will pivot and not jackknife (if mounted at the correct height). With a hydro the bullrider looks great, but I worry that the size of it makes it harder to walk behind in spots when needed, such as in tight turns at the bottom of a hill or whatever.
  10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I like my proslide but just this morning slammed my shin when I was stopping going down a wet hill.The mower stopped, not the sulky.Nice bloody mess.Keep that in mind if you buy one.