ProSlide XT...Pros/cons?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lohse's Lawn Service, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I have recently come across the ProSlide XT. I have a home-made sulky, 2 wheels, works great, but it's heavy, as are the ones I've seen that are made professionally. I don't know about you guys, but it's not a walk in the park when you have to back up with a sulky, regardless if you are on/off.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of the Proslide XT? I've seen them in Turf Magazine, advertised from $159 (lower-end/residential?) to $379 (commercial?). I watched the video on their website, and they made it look like a piece of cake to use (I'm not stupid; everything that you see on tv is shown as "user friendly!") I have already searched for previously posted threads on this topic, but they were a couple years old. I appreciate any help that you send my way.

Here's the website in case some of you are not familiar with the Proslide.

http://novaecorp.com/proslide.html

2. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

What mower are you going to use it on?
    Most people love em
    but one problem is if you have a smaller deck or smaller
    motor
    or are really fat
    They can put a strain on you mower
    I opted for the Hustler
    no maintence and it rolls
    can back it up easily

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

from US

I'm using Toro 32" walk-behinds. And I weigh about 180 lbs. I'm guessing you are satisfied with them. I appreciate your input.

4. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure the machine weighs enough or has enough power, but talk to someone who has one. My buddy's 36/15 couldn't pull him like a wheeled sulky.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

ProSlide did not work on my Exmark 36" Viking, hydro, 15hp Kohler. Therefore, I am quite certain it will not work on a 32" machine -- just too light, not enough width on the footprint.

6. Lohse's Lawn Service

from US

My 32" Toro pulls me very comfortably without any strain. And by the looks of the Proslide, I'd say it would weigh less than my home-made dolly. Just guessing. It also pulls another one of my employees and he weighs around 195-200.

7. Lohse's Lawn Service

from US

What exactly did not work for you? You say "too light." Do you mean it's not well-built? I mentioned this in the above thread, but my 32" Toro pulls my employee (195-200 lbs.) without any strain. Is the base of the Proslide not big enough? Thanks for your input.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

With the ProSlide attached, the slider controlled the machine. I could not control the direction because the slider had too much influence on the combination of machine/slider. With uneven terrain, uneven turf, each wheel might tend to slip a bit differently, with the result of a small change in direction. The footprint of the 36" machine is about 35 1/2" wide. This distance does not provide enough leverage to control the machine. With a 48" mower, for example, the footprint is wider, thus providing more leverage from the mower itself.

When I abandoned the ProSlide, I bought a BullRider. At that time, BR could be used in either caster or trailer mode. My intention was to use it in caster mode, that is the two wheels would turn on their own spindle, just as the front wheels of the w/b mower. The sulky and mower were to act as a unit. However, I quickly learned the mower responded the same way as the ProSlide, not enough weight and leverage to make it work. I changed the BR to trailer mode, and continue to use it that way to this day. BR has changed the design. It is no longer a convertible sulky, but will only work in caster mode. They have another model for trailer mode (Bronco, I think). See attached pic of my machine and the BullRider.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

9. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

we bought one and mounted it on a convertible mower from rich mfg. the only problem we are having is that when we don't use it and ride the mower at high speed over bumpy ground the actuator spring falls off and this last time the rod fell off also. proslide has always sent another replacement without charges. when we use it it works great. it's nice when backing it retracts just enough to step off and it's easy to get back on. and when were done it will re track all the way and store out of the way. we just need to figure out how to keep it together. it would work great on a regular walk behind. it rides real smooth across bumpy ground.

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a 32 and it is light in the front. I think with the extra "drag" by the Proslide you might be popping wheelies or just hard to control. IDK, try it out and let us know. Just get the cheap version to test with.