prospect says-"How much does it cost"

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Mar 4, 2007.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

How do you handle this question when a prospect asks you this before he/she's had a chance to meet you and see your presentation?

2. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

couple ways to handle it.. tell them that it varies, depending on the site, fixtures they choose, size of project, etc.
    I also have a rough estimate of 200-240 per fixture (including trans)

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

A LOT!! It costs a lot. I tell them that a quality lighting system that they will love is not cheap and my systems start at $2500. We go from there. I find that if I get the shock out of the way we can have some fun designing a system.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

my website states my systems start at 2k... used to be 2500 but I did find myself doing a few smaller jobs on small tract homes for around 2100. Still prfitable just on a smaller scale.

Does it shy away some clients ? Im sure. We have had some calls where my wife tells people our systems start aroound 2500 and we never hear from them again. Some say yep thats fine.

We are helping do an editorial this summer for a regional magazine and it will have our contact info and say seom 2000 to over 20,000 for systems.

As paul stated quality costs. I cant even buy all the components for one of our systems for what some guys are installing them for. Just replaced one that was less than 2 years old.. it had "the good kind" of lights. We NEVER give a per fixture price over the phone. I made that mistake once and you get clients wanting to delete fixtures expecting you to drop the price by just that much.

5. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

We NEVER give a per fixture price over the phone. I made that mistake once and you get clients wanting to delete fixtures expecting you to drop the price by just that much.-Pro-scapes

This is a very valid statement. I struggled with putting the per fixture range on my website and overall I'm glad i did since it does somewhat eliminate the nuisance calls from those who are not qualified. The natural reaction is to lower the fixture count since in their mind they don't "need" that many fixtures and simple wnat to bring the cost down. Meanwhile of course they have no idea how many fixtures they really do "need". there is no frame of reference.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

are you saying you do have a fixture price on your site ? I have been to your site a few times an enjoyed your articles very much. I noticed before you had some costs like 1-2 transformers XXXX price range. Didnt see a per fixture price.

7. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

I generally look at the question from a customer as a potential red flag. My response is always vague, if they ask again it is clearly a red flag.

Upon meeting them, I will either give a bid, give a bid with an extra 10% for the pain in ass factor or simply be honest and tell them our lack of connection could easily effect our working relationship and then happily refer them to another installer.

8. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

Billy for clarity (see below)There is no per fixture price quoted as I don't price jobs that way there are too many variables to consider. But by giving general ranges of cost with general fixture counts people can get an idea what systems will generally cost out at per fixture. There's ways of saying it with out really saying it i guess. You know what I mean? Again it's generally speaking but it really knocks alot of people out of the water which is my intention.

Smaller Sized Projects (investments range from $2,000 to $4,500)

Requiring 1 to 2 days to complete

Consist of all of the above- approximately 10-20 fixtures, 1 or 2 transformers

Medium sized Projects (investments range from $4,500 to $12,500)

Requiring 3 to 5 days to complete

Consist of all of the above-approximately 20-60 fixtures, 2-4 transformers

Large sized projects (investments range from $12,500 to $32,500 and up)

Requiring 5 to 15 days to complete

Consist of all of the above-approximately 60-150 fixtures, multiple transformers,

Jumbo sized projects (investments range $32,500 and up)

Require 15- ? days to complete

Consist of all of the above-approximately 150- ? fixtures, multiple transformers

*Investment ranges and equipment quantities are for general information purposes only and are not to be relied upon for complete accuracy. All projects are unique and quoted on and individual basis. Work can be "zoned in" or phased as budget permits. Property owners interested only in design services are charged an hourly rate. Please contact me for further details.

9. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

10. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

Thanks

Dave