Prospective client %@% me off!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zedosix, Dec 4, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I love when homeowners brag about how much they saved on other projects, at least I'm entertained while i waste my time. " the drieway was done by johnnys uncle for 2grand, the stoop by his brother for free, the patio guys i paid cash and they did it for 5k". I love it. Its the best
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

So I have a business aquaintance whom wanted a paver walk last winter. I go to his house to get measurements and I notice a horrible asphalt paving job and I notice the driveway allignment is all out of whack. I kept my thought to myself and had forgotten all about it.

I call the guy a couple days later with the pricing. We are buddies so I priced it at rock bottom from the get go.

He says "I have x dollars to spend on this, if you don't want to do it for this I understand".

So I try to explain that his budget is just not realistic and that we had left over pavers that I am supplying for free and that he's already getting a deal.

He says to me "I work with contractors for projects at my house routinely, I know what I'm doing".

I almost fell over in my chair because as soon as he said that it reminded me of his piss poor driveway job I saw!

3. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope there are still people out there who want this.........

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I get this occasionally from prospects who are in some sort of a purchasing position for the govt or a big company. Low-level staff architects and engineers for commercial firms can be as bad, too. I did a design for an architect who also wanted me to coordinate the install. After getting pricing nailed down and everything set he comes back with "ok, I was able to get these trees at discount here, the boulders were cheaper here so they're being delivered tomorrow, half the shrubs will need to come from here..." Dude, I'm cooking, GTFO of my kitchen. That's one I was happy to walk away from. I went by six months later and the yard was still torn up.

Bottom line, the approach that works in the commercial world isn't directly applicable to custom residential. Your $15k front yard doesn't hold the same sway as a $400k school complex.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry...was kind of responding to the OPs orignial post and replies in general I guess. I agree that in the residential world a pre-bid meeting with multiple contractors is not the norm. But I could see a homeowner who thinks he's "important" and has limited time to have more than one contractor there at the same time. Everyone knows that pencils get sharper when there's competition involved. It's hard to be yourself in a situation like that though.

If the homeowner made it clear up front that there would other contractors and that it was a competitive bid situation it would be different than showing up and finding another contractor there. A homeowner who sents everything to bid and shows no loyalty and desire to build a relationship probably isn't the best prospect....as others have mentioned...it all comes down to the lowest bid with them.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well Said!

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Haha lets not get rolling on low level archies who know they can get it done for 9/sf. The next can if worms is insurance adjusters over here. Tree uproots half a driveway eith no expansion or control joints and wants me to replace 417 sf only...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Love dynascape, do you use the Quotescape side of it as well? Have you ever done a Color Drawings from it?

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't used quotescapes never really took the time to figure it out. I have the basic system, colour drawings won't help me or my business at this point in my career
    Posted via Mobile Device