Prospective customer told me I was.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, Apr 14, 2005.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

4 times the cost of their lowest bid. Several weeks ago, I posted about a homeowners association that was looking for a reliable company and said they weren't going to go with price only. the site is around 5.5 Acres, with about 1/3 of that a retention pond area. 40-45 degree slopes, needs to be mowed weekly. Aerate and overseed 2 times yearly all 5 acres. Fert 3 times, weed control 2 times. I looked several times at this site, and even had another lawnsite member look at it with me (MMLAWN). He told me I was real close, if not too low. I bid right at $40,000 yearly. Now, I got the results back today. the low bid, which they went with was $11,000 bucks for the year. Other bids were 16000, 21000, 35000 and mine. This property is not going to be an easy one for the one who got it. I believe they are going to be paying the association for the opportunity to mow the property. They have lots of shrubs to trim, and a lot of large banks that can only be done with a trimmer. These must be done every 2 weeks.

What is wrong with people. Do they not want to make money doing this?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

The guy who bid $11K is going to mow, edge and blow and THAT IS IT.

Trust me.

I see this all the time with bids for homeowner associations. Who in the heck is going to aerate and seed twice a year anyway. When would you be able to use Pre-M?

Just walk away.......

Shoot my bid just for mowing would be at least $11K.......

3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Grass-scapes I am in High Point. I have two small associations that we do now. Other than them I am through with homeowners associations. They either want it done for free, have too many complaints or change board memebers every year. Leave those places to the big guys like brickman or trugreen. Other than that how is your spring going? We have gotten 13 new mowing accounts and are about 3 weeks out on landscape work

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

IM getting spray work, but lawns Im not getting. Last year, I didn't get a lot of calls until mid may. IM expecting the phone to start ringing. the ones I do quote, I don't get. They expect 20-25 bucks a cut for 10000 sf. Not gonna happen this year. I can go hungry NOT working just as well as I can bustin my butt. If you get any work in Greensboro that you don't want, send it my way. LOL

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's evident that they don't.
    These dummies bid these jobs thinking only of the gross numbers, nothing else.
    Once on the job the realize they are not even making employee wages per hour.
    So they cut every corner they can.
    As someone said, all they will do is MOW, 2 maybe 3 times a month.
    MAYBE they will trim once a month, ect.
    But they will do nothing else because they can't afford to, and might not have even included it!!!

However, the customer will never know the difference.
    All they will do is complain all year and seek to replace the BAD service.
    But of course they will expect to pay only $11k from now on.
    And from now on they will continue the same cycle and WONDER WHY???

People KILL ME!! :dizzy:

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Trust me because as he said I looked at this prop with him and this IDIOT that bid $11K is going to be maintaining this prop for not free but for a NEGATIVE number! Heck as I told GS I wouldn't even have cut the retention pond for $11K! That has to be without a doubt the worse rentention pond I have ever seen. It is so steep that it could only be cut by hand with a trimmer and even then is a drowning just waiting to happen! As a matter of fact when I looked at it with GS I had him call the HOA and ask them how deep it was so that if I helped him with it until he settled in I would know how much my Workers Comp would be going up. Also that 5 acres is all turf to be maintained and is of course all spread all out. Heck, I think the pond alone is probably 2 acres or more. I am sure this is a half azz one man show using a MTD lawn tractor and a Murray pusher. I told GS to make sure and call the HOA back and tell them that when June hit and this idiot just quits showing up to call him. I hope that this CLOWN is on LS because if you are I have one thing to say. You sir have no idea how to run a business and are headed straight to bankruptcy.

7. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he is going to use the land for pastures.

8. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I have always thought and said that hoa's always take the lowest bid, you can bid higer than someone and emphasize quality and probably get a commercial property because one person makes the decision on those type of properties(apartment complex's, shopping centers, etc). Hoa's are different because the final decision comes down to what the group or association board members decides. All they see is the price, we were way under-bid late last fall on a hoa with 34 townhomes. When I went to bid this property, I met with the association and they kept bringing up quality not price-and what happened? they took the lowest bid again. You are probably glad you didn't get the association, sounds like kind of a hassle.