1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Protect yourself from Mosquitos

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Aug 31, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I decided to put this here to make sure it gets more exposure. Burried on page 15 of a local paper yesterday it had an article that 500 mosquitos in the area were found infected with the West Nile Virus. They found the dead bird that was carrying it. I'm in a town outside of Memphis, TN. If it is here it can be anywhere!! The article goes on to say that there is no cure, and some symptoms are fever, body and headaches, swollen glands, etc. It says to stay inside in the evening or wear plenty of repellant.

I thought everyone here should know that this is something they should be aware of since we work outside.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hoss--that is bad news for you flat landers! we hilljacks on ROCKY TOP don't have as much standing water. I hope that makes a difference.

3. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Has anyone tried those pocket electronic mosquito repellers? I saw one in a magazine for $15 that you wear on your belt and is suppose to repel mosquitoes. I just don't like spraying myself and clothing with this stuff mosquito repeller.
  4. sparechange

sparechange LawnSite Member

clay, ragweed and mosquitos. we're cursed in tennessee
  5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up.

They're here in Virginia. As for the symptoms, I feel that way most of the time.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I got a skeeter on my xxxxx....OH NO I AM GOING TO DIE!!!!
  7. geogunn

from TN

8. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

we have found dead crows that have tested positive for west nile.does any one know if i should worry about my dog being out?
  9. geogunn

from TN

glad they don't have that stuff anywhere else!:p

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

yeah .. We got em out here in joisy... They are soaking us with insecticides over the next two weeks to kill off the larvae. The funny thing is that more people get sick from the insecticides than the sketers... So far one old dude died from west nile , and they found a whole truck load of infected birds n stuff. This may sound really wierd but I have heard this stuff call skin soft or something ffrom avon is supposed to work at reppeling sketers and other stuff but it smells like , nasty but it's not a chemical. some natural oil or such ?? any body had any experience with this , ?? does it work at reppelling sketers or just makes you soft : )

Be safe................

HEY What happens if we bite the sketers first ?????