Protecting a driveway

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lynden-Jeff, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I'm going to do some grading on a front yard beside a driveway. Regular asphalt drive way and there will be a bin I'm loading in to. Will plywood be sufficient to protect the driveway? The edge is interlock which IS concreted in, so I'm not really worried about it but would like to protect it as much as I can.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't worry about the edges the other day on a driveway that I was rolling over and cracked two squares of existing driveway. On that particular job, I didn't have the owner sign my concrete waiver.....so, I bought two squares worth of tear out and replace on an existing driveway. Plywoood will help disperse traffic weight. A slight mounding on the grass side where it meets the concrete with plywood on top would be my choice right now.......

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I once cracked a concrete drive with a little ditchwitch. It turns out there was a drainpipe in the concrete, and there was less than a inch of concrete over the drain pipe to the surface.

Once I discovered that, the homeowner backed off about demanding that we repair it and instead called his contractor (new house). That was going to crack eventually anyways.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The best thing to use is plywood or leave the bin on the street if possible. Asphalt is a little more forgiving than a nice new white concrete driveway which anything stains it.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

It is an asphalt drive but its interlock edges. I will lay plywood, and thankfully the interlock is concrete in with a /| of concrete on the side so I should be ok. Thanks for the input.

Cheers
    Jeff