Protecting Pipes from Tree Roots

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HooKooDooKu, May 10, 2005.

1. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

DIY person looking for some input.

I'm placing several pipes in a single trench that will eventually be under the canopy of a growing tree. I'm worried that years from now, roots will get inbetween the pipes, and when these roots swell in size over the years, it will bust the pipes.

The idea that has come to me to try is to line the side of the trench that faces the tree with simple vinyl siding, hoping that over the year, the roots will hit the siding and grow sideways or up and over the pipes.

Any feedback from those with more experience?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Frankly, inquiring minds wonder why one would consider stacking pipe in a trench. Mister Murphy will ensure that the one pipe that leaks will be on the bottom of the pile.There are heavy plastic root barriers you can employ, to deflect root growth. <a href=http://www.ndspro.com/LandscapeResultList.asp?LCat_Action=Filter%28%22++CatID+%3D+%271%27%22%29&LCat_Position=PAR:>See here</a>

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

How hard would it be to move the trenches?

I don't really see this as a serious problem for probably 10 -15 yrs down the road, and maybe not even then.

The root barrier might not even work later.

4. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Just got back from helping a buddy move some gear away froma flooding crrek, and he's having a sprinkler installed. The trenches are still open because we're getting a ton of rain and snow and I noticed there were multiple runs of PVC in the main trench in the back yard leading to the zones.

All I could do was think of your post...