Protection against snake bites

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Does any company make a lower leg guard. . .something like shin guards a baseball catcher would wear? Something that would protect against snake bites from behind as well?

Thanks in advance.

2. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

The best way to guard against snake bite is to know something about snakes, where they hide and what makes them run away. Do not be scared of them.
    If you work in a snake infested environment the first thing is to wear heavy duty boots worn by loggers, heavy duty rubber gloves and clear glass so that you can see them. You can find them on the internet. The next thing is to operate trimmer and blower to make noise to scare them away. A snake is no match for a string trimmer. If the area is very dangerous clear the area first and see the ground before you stick your fingers. Use Kerosene or snake repellent(the expensive one). Kerosene kills snake instantly. If you are biten by a snake and you drink kerosene chances are that you will live because kerosene wipes out the vernom.
    I used to be scared of snakes but if you know what scares them away or where they normally hide or how to get rid of them you can safely work in the area.
    I see a lot of lawn maintenance guys here wearing short pants to mow. I sometimes wonder if they know the risk they are taking. I have seen snakes in almost all the yards in Georgia be it in a wooded area or the metropolitan area. I think Georgia has the most diverse types of snakes I have ever seen in the United States.
    I hope people learn from your post because it can be dangerous.

3. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think Cabellas used to sell snake proof boots in their catalogs. I personally haven't seen any chaps or shin guards but I sure someone does make them. Did you try a google search?

5. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

There are many places on the internet that sell snake leggings http://www.cspoutdoors.com/rasnle.html, this site is fairly cheap. They would be useful and could save your life but it is unlikely that you will encounter many snakes while cutting lawns. Snakes do not have ears but they can detect the slightest vibrations through the ground. By the time you get near them with your mower or weed whacker they will probably be long gone.

The best way to not get bit is to keep your eyes open and watch where you step. It would be wise to purchase a venom extractor kit which can purchased at any wal mart for like $8. This could make all the difference between life and death. Drinking kerosene WILL NOT do anything for you besides make things worse!!!!! The only anti-venom for a snakebite is just that...anti-venom which is administered at the hospital. I have studied snakes all my life and have a great deal of knowledge on the subject.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank ya'll for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Also, the vemon extractor kit is a great idea, thanks again.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Don't drink kerosene, and DON'T use a venom extractor. These are old school thinking. You risk doing more damage by using these methods then not.

The only thing you should do is stay calm (don't run and don't panic. It will increase your bloodlflow, hence increasing the rate the venom goes through your body) and get medical attention. It's also a good idea to get as good a description of the snake as possible (if someone can safely kill it and bring it to the hospital for you, that's all the better). Knowing what species of snake it is will help the doctors know how to treat you.

8. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

When people write about things they either write what they have seen or hear or read about. That is theory or practice. I come from a place where they are deadly snakes that can kill you in seconds after you are bitten. I do not mean rattle snakes that can make noise and you run away.
    I have seen people bitten by snakes and die on the spot and I have seen people bitten and remedied by kerosene until they are rushed to the hospital. I have seen what happens to snakes when kerosene is poured on them.
    If you are bitten by a poisonous snake before you apply an extractor you will be dead.
    If you ever see a snake pour kerosene on it and see what happens. What happens to the snake is what happens to the venom.
    Snakes are very sneaky things. I have seen snakes on lawns, beds, edge of curbs, near air conditioners, under bird baths, everywhere you can imagine in Georgia.
    The protection against them is to know their habitat and where they can hide and what they like to eat. Because once you see water, piles of wood, rocks, strange holes in the ground, lizard, turtle and ants you will see a snake there.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Oh brother, ok, I'll bite (no pun intended). Tell me about these mystical snakes that kill you instantly. What species?
    :rolleyes:

10. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

The most venomous snake in the world lives in Australia and is the Fierce Snake, also known as the inland Taipan, and doesn't kill in seconds. The mortality rate of envenomation by this snake is 5-15% w/anti-venin. W/O anti-venin it nears 100% Instant death by a snake bite would next to impossible.

Anti-venin is specifically tailored to each specie of venomous snake and is your best bet for survival. At that, Antivenoms do not cure they are only an aid in the treatment of bites.

Sorry to say but kerosene will do nothing for a snakebite