Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zz4guy, May 31, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I ususallly do walk throughs before I mow and also during a quote or the first time I mow and its kind of scary walking around a corner having no idea what awaits you. There could be a loose dog, snake, rabid animal, who knows.

I now grab my a 4" switch blade before I do a walkthru just incase. If push comes to shove it's nice knowing I have a fighting chance. Sure a gun would be nice but that is a big responsibility... and our Sherrif hates guns so he'd never give me a permit for the reason of "self protection"

What do you carry? I've been also considering dog mace.
  2. illday

illday LawnSite Member

actually there has been more than one occasion when i wished i had mace
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea. I was just thinking today about a gun.... seems every day I have an encounter with a snake.... and DAMMIT I'm just not as fast as I used to be..
    by the time I get a shovel and swat him once he goes away and I cant catch up to them to hit em again.....

So to ansewe your Q. I carrie a small shovel
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I don't feel the need to carry any type of protection.
  5. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i've got trailer mounted rpg's for when the customer's kitty kat wants to get too close. those things freak me out!

i keep hearing about guys who carry protection on these boards.... are you guys serious??? i got a chainsaw, hand snips bow saw weed whacker spare mower blades, what else do i need when fido licks my face too long???? gimme a break.
  6. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah of course we all have big arsenals BACK AT THE TRUCK! But why would you fire up a chainsaw to do a walk around.

Someday I'm going to come around a corner and spook a ratweiler or pit bull and it is going to go berserk on me. I want to have something on me at all times for that kind of ****.

And good luck turning your 300lbs mower into any kind of weapon. It would not work when that pitbull locks onto your leg or face.
  7. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

crazy people.... you have to be armed to walk a yard ???.... common sense is all you need.. you probably also worry about slipping in the bath tub, sure it happens... accidents happen all the time... no need the become a psychopath.. if you that scared or worried stay home and lock your doors we will all be safer...

crazy people...
  8. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Call whomever you would like crazy.....Around here everyone thinks they are a gangster, they gotta have a big fake necklace, a t-skirt (really long t shirts), and a pit bull. Four times this year I have almost had equipment stolen. Walked out from behind a customers house yesterday, and a guy was trying to cut the masterlocks on my trimmer rack. I have unsucessfully been robbed, (I guess they didnt know that LCOs around here are broke). The protection is not just for me either, I am not nervous of a person. My worker got bitten by a chow last year and had a couple close calls with Pit Bulls. My H&K USP40 .45 is always on my belt, unless entering a customers house...
  9. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

I'm not a psychopath. But I do carry protection for 2 reasons:
    1. There are too many psychopaths.
    2. It is my 2nd Amendment right.

Although I'm not an expert on zero turn riders; I am an expert on firearms/self defense. And I would be happy to assist anyone that needs help, or has questions on this topic.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

been landscaping since I was 15, so about 20 years...never had any issues with doing a walk around or needing any type of weapon.

even in my days at Disney when I had to chase gators and snakes and wild dogs and feral cats....never needed anything. The only time I needed a knife was to bleed out a deer that had been hit by a bus and was in the road holding up traffic...And then I had to borrow one from an EMT...

When I was working I had enough on my belt between pruners, cell phones, wallet, keys, the last thing I wanted was to carry more sht....I think that packing heat in a holster might be neat and cool, and scare away the would-be robbers, but it may also frighten away potential clients....